Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need some cheap but sturdy cabinet doors

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    If hinges are your issue, they can be replaced. I often by from this place:

http://www.wwhardware.com/cabinet-hi...uropean-hinges

They have a large printed catalog which is handy, especially for European hinges. The 5/8 overlay is a function of the baseplate you use. They sell the hinges and baseplates separately. You also have an adjustment on the hinge, of course. The printed catalog helps pick out the right parts but you should be able to do it on-line.
    I just bought some stuff from them and it was pretty good. They have a good catalog of stuff.
    Last edited by Daniel O'Neill; 02-20-2015 at 1:01 PM. Reason: Reduced Quote to Relevant Parts

Just my opinion, but renters and European hinges don't mix, especially in less costly rentals. They are too easy to knock off, people lean on the bottom doors, kids swing on them, etc. Then the occupant, who doesn't want to tell you what happened, tries to put it back together with 16 penny nails. My choice is heavy duty, full swing hinges, like the ones older houses came with. They take a lot of abuse, and replace easily.

PS: If you only got eight years out of the present doors, I will modify my original proposal to go along with Jeff. Soft maple frames with 3/8" MDF panels, run a small chamfer bit around the inside to break the edges, and chamfer (or round over) the outside. This will help avoid chipping of the edges from hard use. Don't even think about using hollow core doors.

Eight years is not very long. I have a section 8 house that has a kitchen from 1976, which will get a whole new kitchen when it goes vacant. Doors have been redone once.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 02-20-2015 at 2:18 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Just my opinion, but renters and European hinges don't mix, especially in less costly rentals. They are too easy to knock off, people lean on the bottom doors, kids swing on them, etc. Then the occupant, who doesn't want to tell you what happened, tries to put it back together with 16 penny nails. My choice is heavy duty, full swing hinges, like the ones older houses came with. They take a lot of abuse, and replace easily.
    If my brother were here he'd be saying "continuous hinges."

He was head of maintenance in a school district.

The kids destroyed EVERYTHING.

If it's not a high end rental then it's more economical to just replace the hinges and knobs. Cabinets are already white so just spackle sand and paint the doors.

PS: If you only got eight years out of the present doors, I will modify my original proposal to go along with Jeff.
    I'm fine with the 8 years.
    The doors probably have another couple of years left in them, but, they are starting to look a little tired and droopy. Plus they could stand a good coat of paint.
    Here's what they looked like 8 years ago when I redid them.
    My wife had me on a real strict budget - real real real strict - like $200.00 for the whole thing!
    She bent a little on that and excluded the cost of the floor.

Just my opinion, but renters and European hinges don't mix
    I share that opinion. Cup hinges just work loose too easy. Once they work loose, they break almost right away.
    Maybe Blum hinges would have held up better, but, there's no way I'm going to sink that much money into these doors.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon