Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Balboa House Doors

Those look awesome! I may have to go out and buy some tools!

Man these doors sure are looking great!! Can't wait to see them finished
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Jeff,
    The last pics are off my own doors in my home . I built those about 5 years ago. The pics show the basic design and jamb andd head details..I am still in just the glue up mode with 4 doors already glued up.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Mark,

Thank-you for taking the time and effort to post the process of making these doors. I'm learning a lot. I really appreciate the drawings and photographs.

-Andy

I am sorry for the long lags between phases of door construction. I had a dinner party last night and very busy during the days. Because I am making 11 doors in this phase and working on all of them one task at a time....it is dragging a bit.

I will try to show the rabbeting of door for the glass on one door to keep the interest going...I greatly appreciate the strong support this thread has received ...even if you are not building doors, there is a lot of good info on preparing stock and designing jigs that can be used on other projects.

It is interesting that all the work has been done will basic machines ...no slot mortisers or European rip or sliding saws. Tablesaw, Router, bandsaw, jointer. planner...just the normal stuff. I have many friends that make doors for a living and have all the fancy machines....the end product is about the same...if anything mine may be a little nicer...more attention is payed to matching stiles and rails and flattening that really makes for a trouble free door.
    Thanks Again and I will keep going....
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 08-11-2005 at 9:00 AM.

Mark,
    We totaly understand that you do have other commitments so don't appologise. I for one am finding this a most facinating thread and am following your progress and learning along the way. I agree about using basic machines and that one of the aspects that I find so facinating about the thread.

Thanks for taking the time and sharing your progress with us.

Thanks for hanging in there... Well I routed the rabbet on one door. I used a rabbeting bit with a pilot bearing and made about 5 passes to reach the center of the door thickness. Any glue or slight offsets should be scrapped or sanded flush prior to routing so the router base has a consistent surface. Your first pass should be a light one and if there is tear out pay attention.....you can climb cut and lower the speed to eliminate it.. The Festool router only has 3 depth posts and there really should be more to quickly adjust for passes.

The corners are then chiseled square and the top edge is the most important since it aligns with the glass stop. The stop should not be mitered ....instead run the stiles full length first and then the rails...this will make the stop almost disappear since it is continuous with the grain of the stile.

So I could actually measure and order glass....I will wait and get it all at once.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 08-12-2005 at 1:14 AM.

Mark,

Doors are looking good. Gotta luv that mohagany! I noticed that you're not using the dust collection on the Festool router. I've been thinking about investing in a Festool router in part because of the good things I've heard about the dust collection, and so am wondering why you're not using it. Do you find it cumbersome?

Thanks,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Vermeil
    I've been thinking about investing in a Festool router in part because of the good things I've heard about the dust collection, and so am wondering why you're not using it.
    I was going to ask the same question...especially with mahogany which spews forth a lot of nasty fine dust when milling!! I find the dust collection the best thing since, umm...red wine...when it comes to working with the router!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well,

I will use it...I am just getting used to the router and I will try it on the next door. Jim I know you did a review of this router....why does it only have 3 depth steps on the turret?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I was going to ask the same question...especially with mahogany which spews forth a lot of nasty fine dust when milling!! I find the dust collection the best thing since, umm...red wine...when it comes to working with the router!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Jim I know you did a review of this router....why does it only have 3 depth steps on the turret?
    'Can't answer the question, although that's about the same number my other routers have, too...at least working from memory.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well, 6 doors are clued up and 4 are rabetted for glass. There really is nothing to post because all the techniques are more of the same. I am just in the "mass production" mode. The project seems a little easier than the last time ...better jigs are helping. I will try to order the Mahog. for the jambs. One door I can't do because the ceiling may drop for heating which would reduce the height. The framing is almost complete ...maybe a week or 2 more..

All the doors that I can make are glued up! I have one more and the entry and I am finished...there is still making the jambs, hanging them and installing the stops. The first picture shows matching the stiles....they are cut from one board. The heavier figure of the grain should be at the bottom. The last door I made is the Master Bedroom....44" x 96"...It will have a transem above . Once the heating ducts are figured out , I will know thw height of the Powder Room ceiling and can make that last door.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mark, you are one lean, mean, door-making machine! I'd still be on my first...maybe second, right about now! Thanks again for the tutorial. Lots to absorb. I especially liked the part about making the router jig. I'll have to go over that one again. Keep us posted...Great job!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Mark,
    Just a question. Why did you do the rabbiting after the glueup ?
    I would have thought it would be easier to do them either on a routertable or a tablesaw prior to glueup. Not questioning your technique, just wondering.