Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's my 2 cents worth

Blog Entries

Here's my 2 cents worth

So, here is my 2 cents worth, where is yours?

IMG_0278.jpg

While going through things to settle my mother's estate, we ran across some coins. Among them were some old 2 Cent pieces. Here is one of them from 1865.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Not really a coin collector, but I am aware of how flat our coins have gotten, that one has the old high relief that makes
    coins look like money. The new ones look like bus tokens.

Blog Entries
    Mine comes up all the time:

as in, just my 2¢ Two Cents.jpg.

My recollection says it is from the first year of production, 1864. My excitement was all over the place when it was noticed to be what is called "medallion struck." Normally a coin when spun on its vertical axis will have the sides rotated 180º from each other. After a little research it was found the 1864 2¢ piece is the most common coin found with the die rotated to produce a "medallion struck" coin.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I also have a 1807 Half cent from the same source.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I also have a 1807 Half cent from the same source.
    I have half a brain, if that counts.

Cool coins! I didn't know they had 2 and 1/2 cent pieces!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Cool coins! I didn't know they had 2 and 1/2 cent pieces!!
    The also had 3¢ coins in both silver and nickel. The nickel 3¢ coin was actually the first American coin to be called a "Nickel." There were also 20¢ coins. The 20¢ coin didn't last long for the same reason as the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin, it was too easily confused with a quarter.

Gold coins also had some unusual short lived denominations. Some were privately minted and became quasi-legal in circulation, especially in the west were U.S. coinage was scarce.

Before 1866 our 5¢ coin was called a Half Dime. It was a small silver coin. Due to precious metal hoarding of the Civil War coins of less than 10¢ value were struck in lower valued metals.

And don't forget Civil War tokens a merchant tokens. It was in the later half of the 19th century that laws were passed to unify the meaning of legal tender in the United States.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a three-dollar bill? My grandfather used to have an expression about a three-dollar bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a three-dollar bill? My grandfather used to have an expression about a three-dollar bill.
    Were there ever any 2 dollar bills?

I always find it funny when in the USA that there isn't a $2 piece of currency............Rod.

I can't tell if that is tongue in cheek there, Rod, but yes, there are two dollar bills here in the US. They are reasonably common.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

A couple months ago I cleaned out my MIL's house. She had a big can of stuff like that. I was very disappointed to find out that not one single piece was worth more than melt value. You would think that 200 year old coins would be worth something, but they just weren't.
    She also had a paper dime and a paper quarter, but they sell on ebay for almost nothing. Geez.

I do have a 1795 half dollar that someone spent in my Grandfather's store in 1930, but it is worth rather less than you would expect also.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    A couple months ago I cleaned out my MIL's house. She had a big can of stuff like that. I was very disappointed to find out that not one single piece was worth more than melt value. You would think that 200 year old coins would be worth something, but they just weren't.
    She also had a paper dime and a paper quarter, but they sell on ebay for almost nothing. Geez.

I do have a 1795 half dollar that someone spent in my Grandfather's store in 1930, but it is worth rather less than you would expect also.

If I had a half dollar coin spent in my grandfathers store in 1930 it would be worth a whole lot to me. I once advertised my grandfather's anvil on a Facebook garage sale site for $250,000, no takers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

A friend of mine went through her grandfather's safe after he passed. She found a bunch of old coins and some fractional currency. There was also a newspaper from Atlanta from about the end of the Civil War. It was printed on the back of a piece of wall paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I can't tell if that is tongue in cheek there, Rod, but yes, there are two dollar bills here in the US. They are reasonably common.
    No, it wasn't tongue in cheek, every time I'm in the US I wind up with a stack of one dollar bills and have never seen a two dollar bill.

Thanks for the info............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    No, it wasn't tongue in cheek, every time I'm in the US I wind up with a stack of one dollar bills and have never seen a two dollar bill.

Thanks for the info............Rod.
    They were issued for a number of years, but never really caught on because cashiers didn't have a space for them in their drawers. Enough of them were printed and remain in circulation that they don't hold any collection value, but what is in circulation is mainly held privately as novelty. If I looked hard enough, I could probably find one somewhere here at home from my grandparents in a birthday card or something like that from many years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...wo-dollar_bill
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore