Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assembled chair pic(s)

Assembled chair pic(s)

Here's the chair(s) I'm making for the dining table.

A 'blend' of two Harvey Ellis designs. I don't like a lower front stretcher on front legs because it gets in the way of feet (mine anyway)...but I don't think I like it where I put it either. It's not in the way when you get up out of the chair, and you can actually rest your heels on it if you want...but it looks out of place...and it draws attention to the three lonely spindles on the sides that should probably have been five. I didn't angle the rear legs at the bottom because I can't find a Stickley chair, including the modern day ones, that have it...and I'll consider that an acceptable precedent. Obviously no cushion yet, but it sits pretty good with a slab of MDF laying across the frame.

Just for grins, here's a pic of the table top after I spent a couple hours on it this morning. At low angle, the finish is like glass...and I stopped today at 600 grit. I may stop altogether at this point, because it's still kind of 'matte' from the top...and when I pit the buffer on it that's going to bring up some sheen. I think I've got wet/dry paper up to 1500 grit, so I'll think about it tonight and decide. Thanks for peeking...

I think it is beautiful. It has all the straight lines and simplicity of mission/ Stickley style furniture and the 3 spindles look great, five may have been too much.

Looking good KC....

.....did you laminate some of that mesquite.....

I think it is a great looking chair except I agree that the stretcher doesn't look right. I know you have considered the options, but in case you haven't, my thought would be to add a matching stretcher toward the rear or move the stretcher to the center. I think the three spindles are fine. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

"Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints."

Finishing question.

What is the wood and finish on the table -- it looks great!

Nice chair, too.

Jeff Smith
    Athens, AL
    Athens, AL

Wow is that Nice K.C. I do like the design and it matches nicely with the table...

FWIW, I think the lower front stretcher looks fine.

Quote Originally Posted by J. A. Smith

Nice chair, too.

Jeff Smith
    Athens, AL
    Mesquite, natural WATCO, Sherwood lacquer. Post about the table a couple weeks back...

Quote Originally Posted by J. A. Smith

Nice chair, too.

Jeff Smith
    Athens, AL
    That is Mr. KC "Mesquite God" Constable you are asking that of!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Looking good KC. Is mesquite as hard to work with as I have heard. I have always wanted to work with it but have not had a client request it yet. Again nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk (KC) Constable

A 'blend' of two Harvey Ellis designs. I don't like a lower front stretcher on front legs because it gets in the way of feet (mine anyway)...but I don't think I like it where I put it either. It's not in the way when you get up out of the chair, and you can actually rest your heels on it if you want...but it looks out of place...and it draws attention to the three lonely spindles on the sides that should probably have been five. I didn't angle the rear legs at the bottom because I can't find a Stickley chair, including the modern day ones, that have it...and I'll consider that an acceptable precedent. Obviously no cushion yet, but it sits pretty good with a slab of MDF laying across the frame.
    KC, I left the one pic above to discuss it a little bit. For the most part, I agree with your assessment of the chair. I think 5 spindles would have been more appropriate and definately would have drawn attention away from the stretcher.

However, I think a tiny bit more could have been done to the chair to better match it to the table top. The biggest one I see is the short tapered legs on the table should've shown up on the chair along with the pegs/plugs.

I also think some form of those extra "corbels" you added to the table (last pic) could have shown up somewhere on the chair in some form. It looks like the stretchers on the table match nicely with the chair's stretchers so bravo on that note!

Overall, as always, a lovely piece with an amazing wood!

Do you consider this chair a prototype or does that remain to be judged?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Well here is my two cents worth,
    1. Bring the lower portion of the table legs over to the chair legs.
    2. Add a second stretcher to the back section.
    Comment: I would stay with three/side

Great looking chair though.

KC, it's lookn' great!

Thumbs up

EXCELLENT !!!!

KC,

I need to steel your design so I can make the LOML her kitchen chairs. I've been talking about chairs for the kitchen now for about 2 years.....

BTW, OUTSTANDING on the chairs and the table.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    KC, I left the one pic above to discuss it a little bit. For the most part, I agree with your assessment of the chair. I think 5 spindles would have been more appropriate and definately would have drawn attention away from the stretcher.

However, I think a tiny bit more could have been done to the chair to better match it to the table top. The biggest one I see is the short tapered legs on the table should've shown up on the chair along with the pegs/plugs.

I also think some form of those extra "corbels" you added to the table (last pic) could have shown up somewhere on the chair in some form. It looks like the stretchers on the table match nicely with the chair's stretchers so bravo on that note!

Overall, as always, a lovely piece with an amazing wood!

Do you consider this chair a prototype or does that remain to be judged?
    Hmmm...interesting comment about the taper on the table legs not matching the chair...something I never considered. I'm not sure it's 'practical' though, without adding a lot of 'bulk' to the chair legs to allow for a taper. I can't see it. The dowels and plugs will go in tomorrow (you might not be able to see the square holes in the pic). If I decide to make benches, I'll probably taper the bottom of those legs because they'll really just look like short, skinny tables with a butt scoop in the top.

I think corbels would've been good on an arm chair, but I'm not sure where they'd 'fit' on a side chair. I tend to avoid corbels that are there 'just to have corbels'. Easy to make them look 'wrong'. Kinda like that front stretcher.

As to the prototype question...everything I make is a prototype. Always room for improvement. FWIW, I actually built a 'protoype' before these two. Only thing I changed was adding the front stretcher.

Whether or not I make major changes will be largely dependant on whether or not people are reaching for their checkbooks.

Thanks for the comments.