Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Memes

Blog Entries

Memes

I love memes. There are some pretty clever ones out there. What are your favorites? (Keep it clean) Here's a good one.

image.jpg

Okay, I'll bite. What's a meme? And what makes them clever? And why is the picture a meme?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    It's when you take a picture- often an iconic picture, movie screenshot, celebrity, or just a funny picture, and add a (usually sarcastic) comment to it. It's kind of like a photographic oxymoron. Sometimes the image may in context not go with the comment, but taken out of context and added to the comment it's hilarious.

Since we we have a few Jeep owners here, myself included, this is a good one.

image.jpg

A meme, a concept originally named by the evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins, is a mental concept or idea which can be transmitted/spread throughout a culture from one person to another. A meme can evolve or "mutate" on transmission, somewhat like the game of "telephone". A meme can be considered the mental or cultural equivalent to a gene in biology. Just as the "goal" of a gene is to propagate and spread throughout a species, the "goal" of a meme is to become widespread within a culture.

The concept of "going viral" on the internet encompasses some aspects of a meme, in that it becomes widespread, but the content of the meme usually does not change. A better example might be urban legends, which also spread on the 'net, and also "mutate" to become more interesting/scary/believable, thereby increasing the probability of further spread.

Not sure, however, how the OP's picture is a meme; perhaps it represents the perception (meme) that Harbor Freight does not represent the highest quality within its commercial space?

Seems like making the extra effort to be obtuse....

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Pratt View Post
    A meme, a concept originally named by the evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins, is a mental concept or idea which can be transmitted/spread throughout a culture from one person to another. A meme can evolve or "mutate" on transmission, somewhat like the game of "telephone". A meme can be considered the mental or cultural equivalent to a gene in biology. Just as the "goal" of a gene is to propagate and spread throughout a species, the "goal" of a meme is to become widespread within a culture.

The concept of "going viral" on the internet encompasses some aspects of a meme, in that it becomes widespread, but the content of the meme usually does not change. A better example might be urban legends, which also spread on the 'net, and also "mutate" to become more interesting/scary/believable, thereby increasing the probability of further spread.

Not sure, however, how the OP's picture is a meme; perhaps it represents the perception (meme) that Harbor Freight does not represent the highest quality within its commercial space?
    I went to Wikipedia and read the same text. I still had no idea what a meme was after reading it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I love memes. There are some pretty clever ones out there. What are your favorites? (Keep it clean) Here's a good one.

image.jpg

hx3lm.jpg

See, like that.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/y-u-no-guy

It's easier to simply give some examples and background than it is to define what an internet meme is.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 02-20-2015 at 11:12 PM.

Oooops - wrong thread - I thought this was a Mimes thread.

Like from from Shakes the Clown.

Can;t link to it, comfortably, but goog Shakes the Clown - Mimes

"MIMES!!!!!"
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Oooops - wrong thread - I thought this was a Mimes thread.

Like from from Shakes the Clown.

Can;t link to it, comfortably, but goog Shakes the Clown - Mimes

"MIMES!!!!!"
    I don't know how I ever made it through life having missed that.

I guess it's harmless enough. But kinda like using a computor to "text" a picture of a Morse code message...perversely
    humorous in its overstated pointlessness. P.S., ..---... ...-.....---!

Political activists today on both sides attempt to create memes by repeating the same message over and over trying to instill it into receptive minds and hoping it will get repeated, on and on and on and then become accepted as truth.

Blog Entries
    A bit of overthink going on here. Tried renaming to "post a funny picture" but I can't edit it now. I just wanted some funny pics- that's all. image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    A bit of overthink going on here. Tried renaming to "post a funny picture" but I can't edit it now. I just wanted some funny pics- that's all. image.jpg
    Your second meme makes much more sense. Laughed right away. The Harbor Freight meme is difficult to understand though I get it now, I think..... it's a meme humoring memecrunch.com because the HF sign appears crunched. Took me too long to laugh. A little bit.
    Last edited by Bill Orbine; 02-21-2015 at 7:53 AM.

Blog Entries
    I thought the Harbor Freight would be easy. They sell cheap tools. Their sign is broken. I'm out.

Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.