Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Memes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Memes

I love memes. There are some pretty clever ones out there. What are your favorites? (Keep it clean) Here's a good one.

image.jpg

Okay, I'll bite. What's a meme? And what makes them clever? And why is the picture a meme?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    It's when you take a picture- often an iconic picture, movie screenshot, celebrity, or just a funny picture, and add a (usually sarcastic) comment to it. It's kind of like a photographic oxymoron. Sometimes the image may in context not go with the comment, but taken out of context and added to the comment it's hilarious.

Since we we have a few Jeep owners here, myself included, this is a good one.

image.jpg

A meme, a concept originally named by the evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins, is a mental concept or idea which can be transmitted/spread throughout a culture from one person to another. A meme can evolve or "mutate" on transmission, somewhat like the game of "telephone". A meme can be considered the mental or cultural equivalent to a gene in biology. Just as the "goal" of a gene is to propagate and spread throughout a species, the "goal" of a meme is to become widespread within a culture.

The concept of "going viral" on the internet encompasses some aspects of a meme, in that it becomes widespread, but the content of the meme usually does not change. A better example might be urban legends, which also spread on the 'net, and also "mutate" to become more interesting/scary/believable, thereby increasing the probability of further spread.

Not sure, however, how the OP's picture is a meme; perhaps it represents the perception (meme) that Harbor Freight does not represent the highest quality within its commercial space?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Pratt View Post
    A meme, a concept originally named by the evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins, is a mental concept or idea which can be transmitted/spread throughout a culture from one person to another. A meme can evolve or "mutate" on transmission, somewhat like the game of "telephone". A meme can be considered the mental or cultural equivalent to a gene in biology. Just as the "goal" of a gene is to propagate and spread throughout a species, the "goal" of a meme is to become widespread within a culture.

The concept of "going viral" on the internet encompasses some aspects of a meme, in that it becomes widespread, but the content of the meme usually does not change. A better example might be urban legends, which also spread on the 'net, and also "mutate" to become more interesting/scary/believable, thereby increasing the probability of further spread.

Not sure, however, how the OP's picture is a meme; perhaps it represents the perception (meme) that Harbor Freight does not represent the highest quality within its commercial space?
    I went to Wikipedia and read the same text. I still had no idea what a meme was after reading it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I guess it's harmless enough. But kinda like using a computor to "text" a picture of a Morse code message...perversely
    humorous in its overstated pointlessness. P.S., ..---... ...-.....---!

It's one of those terms that gets adopted in a context other than original,
    where it becomes more widely distributed. At a certain point,
    the usage is broader in the unrelated field, and the source is forgotten.

In this case, it was Richard Dawkins discussing the notion that some ideas self-replicate,
    like genes do in the genome. They do so without regard to the host, so long
    as the meme is propagated and passed on.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...-dawkins-memes

Bruce beat me to this, on the 20th.
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 02-23-2015 at 6:41 PM.

That is correct,Jim. Dawkins figured it out as a young boy while playing the game "telephone".

Help me out here - if I want to copy some of those posted here and send them to friends, how can I do that?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

monkey.jpg

Sorry.....couldn't resist
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    monkey.jpg

Sorry.....couldn't resist
    Ouch................. That is gonna leave a mark...............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

How is 'meme' pronounced?

Is it like 'meeeem' or is it like 'mem' ??
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Meeymtaco.

(The taco is silent.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Meeymtaco.

(The taco is silent.)
    That's one of the funniest things I've read in a while, thanks Jim!
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Why is making fun of a TV personality off limits?