Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jacobs Chuck for wood lathe

Jacobs Chuck for wood lathe

I am a new turner who would rather spend a little more up front then buy something less expensive or something that won't work as well as I need it to. That said I am interested in purchasing a chuck to be used in my tail stock for drilling into my projects. I am told to purchase a Jacobs Chuck. As I am doing my research I see that to purchase a good Jacobs Chuck my cost will be in excess of $200.00. Several of the woodturning mail order sites sell other chucks for less than $50.00. These chucks are manufactured by companies that sell other woodturning tools that are considered to be top of the line.

If it matters for your comment my lathe is a Powermatic 3520b

Will I be satisfied with one of these other chucks or should I purchase a "Jacobs Chuck"?

I'm a beginner but I have the harbor freight one that is like 10-15$ always worked well for me

Go to harbor freight tools they sell a Jacobs chuck Im sure its under 20 dollars I always have a coupon for 20% off . I have 5 or 6 now I set them up with bits i use the most . I have never got a bad one.

I have a PM-3520B and I purchased both of my Jacobs chucks from Woodcraft. Just make sure to get one with a #2 Morse Taper IIRC. I think I paid under $20 each for mine.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-21-2015 at 10:02 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Or look around for a used Jacobs chuck, the ball bearing models last a long time. I have Jacobs brand chucks and a couple of made in Taiwan chucks , they all work the same. You will probably find you will want more than one anyway. If you think you will ever use it in your headstock then you will want an arbor that will accept a drawbar not a tanged arbor. A tanged arbor is fine for tailstock use.
    Last edited by Brian Myers; 02-21-2015 at 10:05 AM.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Brian's point is spot on. Be sure any chuck you get has an arbor that is drilled and tapped for a draw bar. I picked up some allthread, a nut, some flat washers to fit and a wing nut to fit the allthread to make a draw bar. Chasing half finished projects around the shop isn't fun!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-23-2015 at 11:13 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Unless you are going to use it a lot you can probably just pop out the chuck from your drill press. Swap it back and forth as needed.
    Of course your drill press MT and tailstock will have to be the same, mine are both 2MT so no problem.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

'Bangs head"... I'm trying to recall the firm that Dave (D-Way Tools) recommends. They have a keyless chuck that closes all the way, with great roller bearings. He said they held up well.
    A Chuck plus a MT2 taper was under $100.
    They were at the AAW Twin Cities Symposium
    At one point WoodCraft was carrying them
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Got mine at Lee Valley. Reasonable price and works fine. Uses a chuck key which I prefer.
    The older I get the better I was.
    Member Valley Woodturners, Ottawa

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    I'm a beginner but I have the harbor freight one that is like 10-15$ always worked well for me
    I'm a pretty new turner with the same lathe you have. I have three of these - work well. When making more than one pepper mill I can leave different sized drill bits on them. I also purchased a keyless version from PSI I believe.

(FYI the HF do not have threaded hole in the end but the PSI does)

Mike

I have both the HF keyed chuck and the PSI key-less, both work just fine. I agree with the other guys who mention the threaded taper for holding work in the headstock, the PSI has this like they have said. If I was just going to get one I'd take that. Turns nice and true, grips well, no complaints. Harbor Freight all of the above except the threading.

Jon

Its my understanding that there are two quality levels of Jacobs chucks. I expect that is why you often see two very different prices.

I bought a keyless chuck that was about $30 and it is almost impossible to tighten it enough to keep a forstner bit from slipping. I wish I'd bought a better one or a keyed one. I don't recall the brand right now.

What type of drilling application are you wanting to perform? I've been doing more and more deeper than normal hollowing (11" to 14") lately and found the Carter Strongbore to be an excellent choice for deeper starter hole drilling. I don't always drill a hole on a bowl but always on a vase or HF. Always had a hard time not spinning a forstner bit in the Jacobs chuck so I switched methods. YMMV.
    jv4.jpgjv5.jpg

I have one of the HF chucks that I stopped using on the lathe and put on my Jet drill press as I could not find a key that fit the chuck on it (I purchased it used with missing key). I also have a 1/2" keyless chuck that I bought several years ago from Woodcraft (I believe). It did not have a MT adapter with it - I had to purchase that separately. It has no manufacturers mark that I can see just marked as 1/2" JT33. It has performed flawlessly.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).