Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two questions for the membership.

Two questions for the membership.

1. What dowel jig would you recommend?

2. Planning a book shelf project. Every book shelf I have seen approaching three feet wide the shelves have a noticeable sag. How do I prevent this?

Blog Entries
    Have been using the Craftsman dowel jig for 25yrs. Hasn't failed me yet. You could use torsion selves if your problem has been sagging.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2011/03/10/doweling-jigs/

I've used some of these through the years with success.

I don't use a dowling jig, so no idea. The second one though, attach the shelves to a structural back and lead the front edge with a wider strip of hardwood. That will take care of the sagging for a pretty high load. Torsion box shelves will also do it.

Stanley No. 59

Stanley Number 59 Doweling Jig - made in the good old USA.

Do not use one often but when I need one, it is the one I use. I also have an older Craftsman and others, but I much prefer the Stanley and know exactly where it is. I would have to search long and hard to find the others I have. I bought the Stanley in the late 70's when they were still available.

You can still find them on ebay, antique tool sellers, and the like. Did a quick search and found one instantly for $30. Here is a borrowed image of one.

Ditto to Steve's advice on adding the strips to avoid deflection.
    Last edited by Alan Heffernan; 02-21-2015 at 11:08 AM.

If you need it for only a few then the Rockler 2 hole ones would be a economical solution. http://www.rockler.com/rockler-3-8-d...illing-jig-kit For a better kit get the JessEm http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...311,42319&ap=1 they have free shipping now too. I have the full set and real like it. Dan

Try the Sagulator website to determine shelf sag http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm There are several ways to prevent sag including shorter shelves, putting a strip underneath the shelf, and/or putting a strip across the front of the shelf (structural and decorative).

On shelves for heavy things I fully support them at the back by using a thick back and dado the shelf into the back, a vertical stile that can hold extra shelf pins, or a supporting ledge built all the way around the shelf. For the front sides a strip glued at or near the front to increase the effective thickness of the shelf does wonders. Or a vertical stile that holds a shelf pin in the center of the shelf-- the latter doesn't look good until you get to cases at least 4 ft wide or so. Using solid wood rather than plywood will also help avoid sag. Needless to say, almost nothing keeps particle board from sagging, even under its own weight.

Never use dowels , so can't help on that.

A couple of clarifications. I intend for these shelves to be adjustable. I will of course give up on that idea to avoid the sag. I already have a single Stanley jig. The Jessem jig has my attention.

Of those who stated they don't use dowel jigs what do you use?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent E. Matthew View Post
    A couple of clarifications. I intend for these shelves to be adjustable. I will of course give up on that idea to avoid the sag. I already have a single Stanley jig. The Jessem jig has my attention.

You intend on using shelf pegs?

Quote Originally Posted by Kent E. Matthew View Post

On shelves, I really like dados the best on the mid shelves and sliding dovetails top and bottom (sometimes middle on tall cabinets). If the cabinet is going to be build in place or contained from spreading, ie never moved, skip the sliding dovetails and just dado.

Don't need to give up on adjustable shelves. Do like in the pic and you'll have no sag issues. Use Sagulator as recommended above to determine how tall the edge strip needs to be for your shelf. http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

DowelMax is top flight. I have two of them and the 1/4" inserts. My son has a Festool Domino which takes doweling/loose tenoning to a whole new level but quite a bit more expensive than the DowelMax.

Jack

On the shelf if you put a front on them like Scott show you should be in good shape.

Now on the doweling jig, I like the Jessem Paralign, I like having the clamps right on the jig and with it you can do a lot.

Here is a thread that I posted when I got the jig.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=doweling+jig

If you have any question on the jig just shoot away.

My very first "job" helping my father in the shop was drilling holes for dowels with the Craftsman dowel jig when I was about 7.

I used to use my Craftsman dowel jig a lot until I found a good deal on my Davis & Wells horizontal boring machine. When I occasionally need a dowel jig I still use the Craftsman. The Craftsman jig is a breeze to setup, quick to clamp, aligns things very accurately and I think I only paid $25 or so for mine off of fleabay. Best of all the jig is only one piece so there is nothing to loose!

My father put a 5/16" to 1/2" hardened steel guide in the 1/2" hole of his jig. 50+ years of use, even with a kid using it, the jig still drills perfect dowel holes.
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 02-21-2015 at 6:03 PM.