Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: when looking for work how would you answer this question

I don't see that question as having to do with age. It's an opportunity to demonstrate how you handle yourself on difficult questions. More specifically it might be about how forthcoming you will be toward someone in authority. In the end it's not if you tell them your age, it's how you present it.

David

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    I agree with what most said - not a place I want to work. I had pretty much decided that before the interview was over. But it's a question that comes up fairly often so was just wondering how others respond.

There were a lot of red flags throughout the interview, that question just happened to be the first. Others were: 1) Ultra religious management (made of of dad, mom and the son doing the interview, and his wife), a good portion of the interview was taken up with the son not trying to explain their religious beliefs but more preaching them. I have no problems with religious people, I do have a problem when it come across with a great deal of fanaticism... 2) He made it very clear that he and his parents were very guarded over their business and highly protective of the clients. I'd expect all bosses to try to protect their business but to convey it in a way that feels like intimidation is plain stupid and boarders on paranoia. 3) it was a home business that was run by dad, mom, son and his wife. It's rare to find anyone that says working for a family is a good experience. 4) the son conveyed that he can be quite hard on employees. The way it came across is he's a bit of a monkey i.e. he likes to scream and throw crap. 5) no longterm employees, i.e. over 5 years. He never told me how long the longest had been there but the oldest employee was 20 so it's at best a year. 6) related to the managers paranoia was that they don't support any training that would allow an employee to be accredited in any way, considering this field requires accreditation... He said there was training but it was all in house or run by their "partners". In fact he strongly alluded that he doesn't support any employees desire to advance beyond a para-planner level. 7)Related to 6, none of the principal people have any qualifications that they're willing to show on their website or walls. He was elusive when I mentioned qualifications were required for that industry. I suspect they don't have any qualifications (but have found a way around the qualification requirements by being under an umbrella company (their "partner") that takes on their liability and performs some rudimentary quality assurance audit every now and again.

My quickly eroding enthusiasm and facial expressions (there was a few times I forgot to maintain my poker face) in the interview showed through and he didn't invite me back for round two where the (un)lucky recruit was to front the parents.

There was one good point however. In the waiting room they had a note on a chalk board addressed to me saying welcome... That was nice!?
    Reading that, the original question doesn't surprise me in the least. It's the mom and pop shops that have gotten away with skirting the law so long they don't know any better.

If it were a larger company, I would answer something like "I have the energy of a teenager and the experience of a retiree." It's up to them to determine my rough age.

If the questions continue in the same illegal vein, or I get the impression it will not be an environment conducive to actual work, I'll bail.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by David Linnabary View Post
    I don't see that question as having to do with age. It's an opportunity to demonstrate how you handle yourself on difficult questions. More specifically it might be about how forthcoming you will be toward someone in authority. In the end it's not if you tell them your age, it's how you present it.

David
    When I consider his age (about 23 or 24) the body language and what was said after, I highly doubt he was conducting a test. Just a meathead with a over exaggerated sense of importance.
    Last edited by Brian Ashton; 02-23-2015 at 8:54 AM.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

I've been out looking for something part time for a few weeks now, here in Ontario. I'm not looking a Mom and Pop places. At two of the major shipping companies, I was told that they were concerned that someone my age (65) would not be able to handle the physical part of the job. I pointed out that I am not overweight, I do not smoke, and I go to the gym 3 times a week. It didn't matter. When I politely pointed out that age discrimination was against the law, I was equally politely told to take them to court. Since they have much, much more money than I do, they knew that was a non-starter.

Then I had the opposite occur. I was told that I was a more attractive candidate for a driving job since I was older and a better insurance risk than a younger guy.

In both of these situations, any legal restrictions are/were pretty much irrelevant.
    Last edited by Grant Wilkinson; 02-23-2015 at 9:23 AM.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Most of the time you are required to fill out an application before you are called for an interview. You are always required to provide the date that you graduated from high school, college, etc. From that information most people can accurately calculate your age. Whether you answer the question or not is of little value unless you want the job. Laws against age discrimination are worthless.

FWIW in the early 1970's it was impossible to get a job if your draft classification was 1A. I had companies tell me they would throw my application in the trash the minute I left the building. You will only find Fair in the dictionary, its just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    When I politely pointed out that age discrimination was against the law, I was equally politely told to take them to court. Since they have much, much more money than I do, they knew that was a non-starter.
    Here in the U.S., you'd be able to file a complaint with the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission).

If you don't seem like a complete nut job, they may go so far as to send a "tester" (an undercover 60-something guy) to interview for the same position.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I have seen some resumes that if yo add up all the years of experience the person would be a lot older than they are.
    Sure. Mine. When you're going to school full time, working a full time job, AND have a part time job, experience adds up fast.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Sure. Mine. When you're going to school full time, working a full time job, AND have a part time job, experience adds up fast.
    Don't forget working two part-time jobs at the same time... there's quite a bit of overlap in mine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Most of the time you are required to fill out an application before you are called for an interview.
    For most management and salaried positions, you don't see an application until they make you an offer and you accept. I've been on dozens of interviews and never filled out an application
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    For most management and salaried positions, you don't see an application until they make you an offer and you accept. I've been on dozens of interviews and never filled out an application
    When I'm handed an application, I typically only fill in the major details (name, address, etc.). I don't bother with education, last 50 jobs, and so on... that's what the resume is for. It gets stapled to the application, and my resume does not include my high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The smell of what such a resume is full of should give it away as being a fabrication.

jtk
    Some folks DO work more than one job at the same time! I know my dad much oh his life. Of course that too, should be obvious from a proper resume. And, as stated above, HS graduation dates, and such should give a pretty good clue anyway.

At least if asked openly, you know it is an issue! If the interviewer doesn't ask, it is much harder to tell if discrimination has taken place!

All hiring decisions are subject to some level of opinion that may or may not be legal discrimination. Just because certain question were, or were not asked doesn't change that.

Bottom line, if you not comfortable with an interview, nothing says that you must take any resulting job offer. I am sure that in many cases some "discrimination may be involved in that decision as well.

Anyone who thinks my opinion and prejudices(whatever they may be) don't effect decisions I make, are not being too realistic! Whether its is hiring an employee or buying a table saw.

I was asked at my job interview if I had ever crashed a server. I'm pretty sure it was an honesty test more than anything. Any server admin who has been in the business long enough has crashed a server at some point by their mistake.

Blog Entries
    Some folks DO work more than one job at the same time! I know my dad much oh his life.
    Yes, during the 1980s it was common for many to have a lot of part time jobs. At one time I did one full time and three part time jobs Though I have seen resumes that would have required a person to work 24 hour days.

One person of my acquaintance had a totally made up resume. It mostly consisted of companies that went under. As he got jobs with his fiction the bottom job would drop off and his last job would be on the top. He was quite the con until it came time to produce. It is rather difficult to package and ship hot air.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Yes, some people work odd and multiple jobs.

Though when a resume doesn't add up, it should either be questioned or placed in the circular file.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Interesting, I have never had an interview before I filled out an application and I worked in management most of my life. I worked for very large companies for the most part......Newport News Shipbuilding, Stone and Webster Engineering, Virginia Electric and Power Company, etc.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-24-2015 at 1:04 PM.