Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remember to shovel your sidewalk...

Phil, when you cross the Coleman Bridge from Yorktown into Gloucester County Virginia the temperature drops 5 degrees and the crime rate drops 80%. I enjoy living in a rural area even though I grew up in the city. Jackie and I are planning on the biggest garden we have ever had this year.

Myk, the swinging mailbox is pretty slick I wonder if it would survive a direct hit from a baseball bat?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    LOL.
    What I'm wondering is if a plow pushed that from the other side of the road. That's illegal in Michigan.
    Illegal, yes, but every private snow removal contractor around here does it. If they were pushing someone else's driveway snow across the road onto my lawn, taking the sod with it, I would get pretty ticked.
    NOW you tell me...

My town, Chester NH, still has this ordinance on the books. "It is illegal to place snow upon a public way except that which is sufficient to allow the passage of a horse drawn sleigh."
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Well, my township ordinance says, "No snow shall be deposited on a fire hydrant, sidewalk or roadway." The township is the one that does the plowing, so I guess the operator forgot about this clause.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Blog Entries
    It may take a few more snows before I get all up in arms, but the local snowplow hire is beginning a record for number of times he blocked my driveway with snow from the neighbor's driveways. I think it's because I chose not to pay him and do it myself. But if it continues, I'm going to have a nice word with him.

In my neighborhood, it appears you haven't "arrived" until someone has taken down your mailbox or you've taken down someone else's. Two were down the first snowfall, we lost a third on the second snowfall... didn't see any new ones with the most recent fall.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    LOL.
    What I'm wondering is if a plow pushed that from the other side of the road. That's illegal in Michigan.
    That was my thought as well or else the plow guy had a load in the dump part of the truck, backed up and dumped a load of snow from somewhere else on his sidewalk without bothering the neighbors.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    On the topic of snowplow guys, they got my mailbox again about 3 weeks ago. That makes 2 in 4 years. Grrrrr!
    My mail box is mounted on a hinged triangular frame with a couple of gate closer springs between the frame and the supporting post which is well clear of the road. When the plow hits it, and they do at least 2-3 times a week, it simply swings out of the way and then comes right back into position once the plow is past. The only time it doesn't swing back is when the snow ridge gets so high it gets buried and I then have to dig it out so it is ready for the mail man or the next plow guy. It also resists the kids with the baseball bats. I've had the same mail box for several years.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Ice storm? Parking lot on I-75?

Repressed memory? For Hotlanta, that was a disaster.
    For those of us 'Uppa heya' it's known as 'Tuesday'.
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 02-23-2015 at 6:53 PM.