Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basket illusion platter

Harvey, just to clarify, I think it is the Detailmaster 9D tip for the 3/16" beads - at least that is what I use. I understand from Jim, that Bob Hanson is back at it again, along with his son, so perhaps the supply will be there.

John - thanks for the info on Detail Master. I use the 9C because I do 1/8" beads. I have a 9D for those cases where I do 3/16" beads. I hope Detail Master is back at it. I'm in the process of disputing a credit card charge from when they charged me for a bunch of pens but never sent them to me. They do not respond to phone calls and emails. I really hope they get their act together because they make very good pens.

Any attempts to call their published phone number leads to a voicemail box that cannot accept messages because it is full. That's not exactly the kind of thing that gives you warm fuzzies about a company right there.

Apparently, Bob's wife has been critically ill and his health may not have been the best either. I do agree about the phone situation and the lack of confidence in the situation. While not the best option, one could always fashion a tip from some nichrome.

I figured DetailMaster was probably a one man operation. Generally when things go south and the company goes unresponsive, it's due to health issues. I keep trying to buy from them. Woodcarvers Supply seems to be able to get me the pens I need, but I have to wait several months to get them. I'm in the process of learning to make my own with the help of Dan Burleson - another basket illusionist. The fish scale tip is not one of the easiest tips to make yourself from nichrome wire, but it can be done and Dan does it regularly. He's teaching me. I still prefer to buy a quality instrument like the Detail Master pens, but if I can learn to roll my own, all will be well. I'm teaching some classes soon and I need a batch of pens for students to use during class.

Harvey, I did think of a question I had meant to ask you. Why do you use the Krylon spray instead of spray lacquer?

Justin -
    I like the Krylon matte finish acrylic spray. I don't want any shine/sheen/or gloss. The Krylon spray dries in a heartbeat. I can literally spray 5 coats in 5 minutes and don't have to worry about dust settling into the finish or anything else that can happen while waiting for a finish to dry. Also, lacquer does react with some alcohol dyes which can cause the dye to bleed or run. It shouldn't happen, but it does - especially if you use a cheap dye (like Sharpies). I'm also the kind of guy that sticks with what works for me. This works so I stick with it.

OK, thanks!