Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Show off the Jointers, anyone interested?

I've been meaning to document my tools for insurance proof of ownership, this thread got me off my butt. Here are my #7 sized planes:

From left to right: Another shop made beech stock with Hock O1 iron, A Record #7 with OEM iron, this #7 and the Record #4 were the first "good" planes I acquired back in the 70's, A type 11 Stanley 7C with a Woodriver iron.

My #8 sized jointer planes:

From left to right: LN #8 with OEM A2 iron, if I used it more it would have a Vertias O1 iron installed. a type 9 Stanley with Hock O1 iron, and best of all a ECE Woody with OEM iron that was picked up from Garrett Wade at about the same time as the Record planes.

FullSizeRender.jpg
    Bedrock 607 roundside with Hock A2/chipbreaker. I just placed an order for a Lie-nielsen #8 this morning. Been saving gift cards for about a year and had to come out of pocket for it but Im pretty excited to see her!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Here are a pair of #6s. The one on the left is a type 4, the next is a type 9. A Sargent Transitional Jointer is next. The Stanley #7 is a type 7. Finally there is a pair of 8s. The one on the left is a type 6a. This is one of the types that fell through the cracks. The only foundry marks may be a little pimple or dot. It has the left hand threads on the depth adjusters like all types have after the type 6. The one on the right is an 8c. I call it my most expensive $5 plane. $5 was the original cost, but it came with a broken frog and missing a few parts. It is kind of on the back burner of things to do. You can see by the dust shadow on the back that it has been collecting dust while resting in a corner.

Attachment 307701

Attachment 307702

The #7 is the one featured in my post, Junker to Jointer:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ker-to-Jointer

jtk
    Jim,

I may have a spare tote for the 8c.

ken

Blog Entries
    Here's my Sargent 422C (the other plane is a Craftsman 559B). The dark grey color of the castings are because I used Phosphate paint prep to remove the rust. I polished the bottoms of the soles although the picture doesn't show that very well. Also, the planer actually takes a full shaving that's just a shaving from the edge of the board sitting in the mouth.

planes.jpg
    planes2.jpg
    planes3.jpg

Blog Entries
    Rodger, the size of my Purple Heart jointer is "only" 26.5" long. I am still working on a top grip, that will hold my entire hand, visible in the picture. The wedge isn't exactly right yet either. I am still trying to decide which iron to use in it. I have two HNT Gordon irons but they are a little short for the jointer so I may use one of the Steve Knight blades which are a little longer. Maybe Tom can see why I bought only two of the 3 Steve Knight planes he had, although mine works I am still working on it. I'm not sure why Tom isn't posting a picture of the very nice Steve Knight Jointer? I posted the other two Tom.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 02-24-2015 at 12:47 AM.

That's a 36" long Jarrah jointer (with 3" wide blade) alongside a Stanley #7 (type 11).

A couple of Veritas jointers - custom and BU ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Harper View Post
    Attachment 307662

Here's my LN no.7. I love it. I had a type 11 Stanley before. It was a great plane, but the LN is definitely worth it's price tag.
    That's beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kornell View Post
    Here's my beech locomotive:

Attachment 307727

In use while building my workbench (clearly, not a pure neander shop :-)

Attachment 307728
    i use a beech locomotive just like that...works great.

My jointer. The only one I have currently in finished,and long used condition. Have another I also made that just needs an iron. But,I haven't too much need for jointers. I used to take this one to the Book binder's Shop,and re flatten his plough plane outfit sometimes. The top of it would get concave from sliding the plough over it while trimming the edges of books.

This plane is longer than it looks due to the massive body with a 3" iron. Made from an old,turned from age brown maple bed post that I found in an attic in Wmsbg.,never finished. The extra dark brown color though, is experimental violin varnish I was making at that time. Cooked in the presence of iron to take on a brown color that can never fade. An unfinished Kentucky rifle is seen sticking out behind it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-24-2015 at 8:49 AM.

I think it was a perspective thing, since the purpleheart is in the front of the other planes. It looked more like Dereks . You even posted the length, I missed that.