Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Funny story....... Well, now it's funny.

Good thing you didn't decide to carry that magnet in your pocket that day. Could have been a totally different story, at a higher pitch
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    EXTREMELY STRONG!!!! its so strong my buddy and I picked up my DJ20 with it easily. Easy for the magnet, not us. There is a warning on it to stay ten feet away if you have a pacemaker.
    Larry
    Keep away 10 feet if you have a pacemaker. Of course, by the time you can read that you are within 10 feet already. Now that's funny!

Glad you didn't get a broken knuckle or two out of your accident. I whacked my thumb with a hammer this summer and the blood blister under it finally went away when the nail grew out - it took 6 months!. I didn't lose the nail thankfully. I hope you don't either.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Good thing you didn't decide to carry that magnet in your pocket that day. Could have been a totally different story, at a higher pitch
    Got a good laugh out of that one, thanks
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

SUPER GLUE story.

My daughter (16 @ time) thought super glue was mostly hype. She asked me to apply some to her hand. Me, being a doting father, complied. She spent the next 20 minutes freeing herself and became a true believe. BUT
    She also had seen me applying an accelerant to speed up cure time and in many items I was making. Asked me how it worked and we got into the conversation of catalyst's. Sine she was "keen" on science she wanted to experience this too.
    I applied a small dab of super glue to her palm and hit it with a light mist of the accelerant---the rest you can imagine.
    She ended up with a small blister and s***ty grin and has become very good in science. She's 27 now and still laughs about it.
    Me, I ended up serving 20 to life for child endangerment! JK

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Larry, I should have sent over one of my ex's to help. Perhaps her repulsive personality could have saved the day.
    One of your ex's? Glad to see I am not the only one in that club........

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Payne View Post
    I think you guys are trying to compete for this year's Darwin Awards!
    Oh come on now. You have a story, you are just being coy.........

Larry you told the story well. I could picture, and hear you in my mind. Painfully funny. If you had a video it might be worth big money!
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 02-24-2015 at 11:46 AM.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    One of your ex's? Glad to see I am not the only one in that club........
    Fortunately, I always managed to dodge the bullet, but I came real close a couple of times.

Blog Entries
    Wow. pretty incredible.

May I make a suggestion. Take a 3 x 5 card and permanently mount it near those magnets with a warning not to get them close to each other. I don't know how old you are, but you might not be the one that takes them down in the future and it would be nice to warn whomever might want to take them down to be careful.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I had been doing some remodeling in the living room and had board set up between two small ladders to act as a mini scaffold to help put up some drywall along one big wall.

There is the apple of my eye, my young daughter about 4 or 5 years old (that's her in the avatar), straddling the board and playing with my drill. The drill was empty and she was buzzing it off and on having a good time and suddenly she yelped. It took me a few second to realize what had happened but she got her hair stuck in the spinning chuck and ripped out a good handful...probably the size of a silver dollar on one side of her head. We had to put an ice pack on her head to dull the pain and I spent a good hour digging her hair out of the chuck.

I heard IT for the next 6 months every time my wife got her ready for pre-school. It was pretty easy to hide but every time the wind blew, you could see something was a bit off on that side of her head. My daughter turns 13 tomorrow and I asked her about this. She remembers it like it was yesterday! She said she remembers something looking interesting on the drill and bent down to take a closer look and in an instant....

Thankfully both her and mommy still talk to me so they got over it. No fun with magnets, no swallowing batteries (some nasty stories about kids swallowing those dime sized batteries), but my daughter did bite her tongue pretty good at the playground once...with my wife supervising. That might've been before the drill incident.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I'll jump in on the magnet theme -

July, 1969 - I was CC'ing, porting, and polishing the heads on my 289 '65 Mustang, just a high school kid with a Dremel and a desire to go faster. I was having a little trouble with my safety glasses getting in the way so I took them off to do some of the grinding. Middle of the job, Friday morning, I left with our church group for a 3 day camp. Later that day my contact lenses started killing me so I took them out (legally blind without correction). So I spent the weekend with my eyes closed and in pain because it was too far to head back home and since it was 1969 there were no cell phones and no phone at the camp.

The group got home Sunday afternoon just in time for me to sit 3' in front of the TV and open my eyes long enough to see and hear Neil Armstrong say, "That's one small step...". The next day my mom took me to the eye doctor who asked if I had been grinding cast iron. Turns out all the metal in my eyes had begun to rust! He told my mom he'd have to cut it all out and she nearly passed out. He just laughed and got a really strong magnet out of his drawer, put it close to my eyes, and all the cast iron jumped from my eyes to the magnet.

I learned a valuable lesson and gained tremendous respect for what magnets can do.
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

4"x4"x2"x139 oz. Not very big, but this is what's possible:

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetai...Y0-N52&cat=168
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by David Falkner View Post
    I'll jump in on the magnet theme -

July, 1969 - I was CC'ing, porting, and polishing the heads on my 289 '65 Mustang, just a high school kid with a Dremel and a desire to go faster. I was having a little trouble with my safety glasses getting in the way so I took them off to do some of the grinding. Middle of the job, Friday morning, I left with our church group for a 3 day camp. Later that day my contact lenses started killing me so I took them out (legally blind without correction). So I spent the weekend with my eyes closed and in pain because it was too far to head back home and since it was 1969 there were no cell phones and no phone at the camp.

The group got home Sunday afternoon just in time for me to sit 3' in front of the TV and open my eyes long enough to see and hear Neil Armstrong say, "That's one small step...". The next day my mom took me to the eye doctor who asked if I had been grinding cast iron. Turns out all the metal in my eyes had begun to rust! He told my mom he'd have to cut it all out and she nearly passed out. He just laughed and got a really strong magnet out of his drawer, put it close to my eyes, and all the cast iron jumped from my eyes to the magnet.

I learned a valuable lesson and gained tremendous respect for what magnets can do.
    Hey good to know! I can save a trip to the doctor and just walk over close to me wall.

Too funny Larry. I can't believe you typed all that with only one hand.

Steve

I posted this on a Volvo forum and got accused of plagiarizm because it was too well written.

I am not on that board any more after I told the mod to, well, never mind. I am just not there any more........