Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hide Glue In 2015?

Another advantage, no glue creep. If you have ever taken apart a joint glued with hide glue, you know there is no need to worry about heat or moisture.

Hide glue has been used for centuries. Urea formaldehyde (UF) glue was developed in the 1930's and quickly took over the market, especially in commercial furniture. Later, PVA glue was developed and quickly took over the hobbyist market because you didn't have to mix it (like UF glue), it has a very long shelf life, and it was immediately available (didn't have to heat it like hide glue).

Today, we have many glues to choose from, each with certain advantages and disadvantages. Like all the other glues, hide glue has its advantages and disadvantages.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    It's more popular that I expected. Seems like the downside to using hide glue is time to heat it and that it goes bad quickly. The smell may be unpleasant but I doubt I'll notice.

George, I've done a little veneering with PVA glue but nothing complex nor have I even tried hammer veneering (yet). I never knew that the glue came all the way through the veneer. I'm really surprised to learn that it didn't effect the color at all.

The rotting after a few days is a real issue for me as I'll often only get out to the shop on weekends. I'll get 1 glue-up and and have to toss the rest but I'll have it all weekend.

I might give the liquid hide glue a try first and see how it goes.
    With the bottled stuff the smell is barely noticeable. And read up a bit on hammer veneering, you actually use glue on the top surface sort as lubricant and I suspect also for stability when curing. Haven't done any myself yet but will.

Roy had a guy on his show doing a demonstration, perhaps its available at his site.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 02-24-2015 at 1:04 PM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

That's right. Only the combination of the two will separate the joint. Steam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom McMahon View Post
    Another advantage, no glue creep. If you have ever taken apart a joint glued with hide glue, you know there is no need to worry about heat or moisture.

I like Old Brown glue and keep the bottle refrigerated.
    Don't buy a great deal at once, it has an expiration date.

It's no bargain to buy a value priced container,
    only to have half of it remain unusable.

For those who may not know,heating the bottle of liquid hide glue in hot water will make it REALLY thin,and able to penetrate into the wood better. Can be messy if you don't watch out,and squeeze the bottle without due care!

heating the glue helps it / thins it
    when I used to use PVA and the shop was cold I would carry the bottle, small bottle, around in my pants pocket to warm it up some before applying. Hit the wood lightly with a heat gun and or glue up in the house where I didn't mind getting the room temp up around 70°.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 02-25-2015 at 1:07 AM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.