Thread: NIP treatment

NIP treatment

Has anyone used the Norfolk Island Pine treatment to induce translucency on other woods with similar results? Specifically, I have plenty of BLM.
    thanks

I think some of the lighter woods will get translucent if you can get them thin enough, but I think the Norfolk Island pine is special. I am guessing that you are doing the soaking in a vat of Danish type oil... I think the Monkey Puzzle tree will do it some what as well. Some can be translucent when wet, but not when dry. Give it a shot, you never know...

robo hippy

Aspen and some other pines will become translucent when turned thin. Haven't experienced that with maple, but I haven't tried for it.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Guess I'll just have to give it ago and report in on what happens.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David Reed View Post
    Guess I'll just have to give it ago and report in on what happens.
    thanks
    Please do! I've been thinking about turning some hanging light shrouds to replace the ones over my Mom's kitchen counter. They are made of colored glass, but look similar to some of the translucent NIP forms I've seen. I think they would be gorgeous, but I don't have access to much soft wood around here. I haven't read about any other woods that turn translucent with DO so I'd love to hear about your results before I order any wood.