Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beehive

Beehive

I'm getting ready to add another beehive to my place so I decided to build the hive myself. Here's a picture of the finished hive. It consists of a bottom, two brood boxes, two medium supers, and a top. It's made from pine. Working with pine is nice. It's an easy wood to work with and not very expensive. I paid $1.50/bd ft for 12" wide planks.

Beehive001.jpg

I made the boxes with hand-cut half blind dovetails. I thought maybe the bees would appreciate having a home that was build like furniture and they'd want to stay, rather than swarm

Beehive002.jpg

Inside, I put sheet metal on each of the rabbets which will support the frames. This is to minimize damage to the wood when you're using the hive tool to pry the frames apart or remove them.

Beehive004.jpg

And I made a top and covered it with galvanized sheet metal.

Beehive003.jpg

Next, I need to paint the boxes. Then get some bees. Maybe split a hive.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

I made the boxes with hand-cut half blind dovetails.

Beehive002.jpg
    Very nice Mike. Very nice.

One more example of a woodworker gone 'round the bend - WAY 'round the bend ....but I love it.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I'm with Kent on this one,nice work....but please don't try to make any honey! Even if those bees decide they they are too
    rich to work!

Pretty cool Mike. My granddad used to make his own hives, too. He had 40 hives at one time. He didn't make them with dovetails of any kind, however, much less hand cut ones. His bees made a lot of honey. They knew they were there to work. He sold honey in 1 lb jars up to 5 gal pails. I remember once when his homemade extractor broke and there was honey everywhere. He wasn't happy. He also sold some comb honey, and that's my favorite. I guess it reminds me of my granddad. Too bad it's hard to find anymore, and when you do the price makes your eyes roll. I hope your bees prosper and make lots of honey.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    .......... comb honey, and that's my favorite.
    J-10.........awww...jeeezzzzzzzz I had forgotten that treat - cannot tell you the last time I had some.........gotta be 5 decades past........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I just wanted to add that it took me longer than I thought it would to build the hive. A hive may look simple but there's a lot of different steps to do to complete the components. One area I was experimenting with is the handles. I drilled out the space and then used my router and MicroFence edge guide to smooth out the sides. I made the first handles too wide, and with squared off ends, but decided that the rounded ends looked better. At first, I drilled the "mortise" out to full depth, but that left center holes from the Forstner bit, so I wound up only drilling it about half way and then using the router to finish it so I'd get a smooth bottom.

If I build another one, I'll be a bit faster because I'll know what works and what doesn't - if I remember.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I knew you were kewl! Kudos on the support for bees!

Nice work on the hives. I've never seen such nice ones.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

It is easy to build your own frames too. Many years ago, my Dad and I used to have about 30 hives and most of them were built in my shop, including brood chambers, supers, bottom boards frames and top covers. The hives were built with half lap joints and wood screws - not nearly as nice as your boxes but they worked for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    It is easy to build your own frames too. Many years ago, my Dad and I used to have about 30 hives and most of them were built in my shop, including brood chambers, supers, bottom boards frames and top covers. The hives were built with half lap joints and wood screws - not nearly as nice as your boxes but they worked for a while.
    I looked at building frames but they're pretty cheap commercially so I just buy them. I don't suppose you're associated with Mann Lake, are you?

Mike

Nice hive. Back in the 70's/80's I had fun with bees. Built hives from plans in "Mother Earth News". Recently saw someone post (may have been here) about Top Bar Hives. Interesting and totally different. Simpler and with no stacking boxes and you let the bees draw their own comb which would be great for comb honey. Not good for commercial operations but supposedly a more natural process for the beekeeper with a few hives.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

You guys ever see this? I just came across it a couple days ago. Seems pretty interesting--I wish I had the land to be able to maintain a hive (I suppose I could put one at our church...) No affiliation whatsoever, other than I love raw honey.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/f...m-your-beehive
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Mike

Nice job. I knew a guy that built one for the inside of his house. It was a piece of furniture kind of. It was make of oak and plexi glass on the side so you could see what was happening. He also had a clear tube that went outside. It was the coolest thing I had ever seen. I used to bow hunt on his land

Now that is really cool. And look at the build quality of the box, too, sort of Greene and Greene.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    You guys ever see this? I just came across it a couple days ago. Seems pretty interesting--I wish I had the land to be able to maintain a hive (I suppose I could put one at our church...) No affiliation whatsoever, other than I love raw honey.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/f...m-your-beehive
    That is truly an interesting video. However, as someone who owned a small scale commercial apiary, my opinion is that it will never work except as a novelty. It is necessary for other reasons besides honey harvest to go through the hive from time to time. If you just turn a crank and get a paltry little 20 kg harvest from time to time, the bees will seal the box up to the point it will take hours to go through it and clean things up when it becomes necessary. In the end, no work will be saved, especially for a commercial beekeeper. This method also precludes harvesting honey in the comb, which is a high profit premium product for those who are willing to fool with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    Nice hive. Back in the 70's/80's I had fun with bees. Built hives from plans in "Mother Earth News". Recently saw someone post (may have been here) about Top Bar Hives. Interesting and totally different. Simpler and with no stacking boxes and you let the bees draw their own comb which would be great for comb honey. Not good for commercial operations but supposedly a more natural process for the beekeeper with a few hives.
    I don't really understand "top bar hives". I understand how they're built, but not how they work. It seems to me that the bees will wind up attaching the comb to the sides of the box, as well as to the top bar so that when you went to remove a "frame" you'd have a mess on your hands. Before you remove a frame, I don't even see how you could slide something down along the side to separate the comb from the side.

Also, I don't understand if it's possible to have an "excluder" function so that the comb you harvest is not brood comb. In a standard hive, there's an excluder between the brood boxes and the supers so the queen cannot get into the supers. That means that the supers are only honey and no brood. If you harvest comb that has brood, as well as honey, you weaken the hive (remove future workers) and you get impurities in your honey (bee larvae). Maybe the hive is divided into two sections with an excluder between them.

If anyone know how a top bar hive works, and why it's supposed to be "better", please post. Art, do you know anything about "top bar hives"?

Mike

[Also, a lot of hobby beekeepers do not use foundation in their frames but let the bees build their comb from the top of the standard frame (there are techniques to encourage them to align the comb with the frames but I won't go into that here). Often, that's done without wires to support the comb, and if so, you can harvest the comb for eating.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 02-25-2015 at 12:07 PM.