Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lie Nielsen Sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    David, do you still have it sealed up in the original package? Is it numbered and limited edition? I hear those are high ticket items....
    No number. Still have boxes/wrappers, etc
    several yrs ago Tom LN was here in Atl, i carted all my stuff over there and he signed them all w engraver-do u suppose that would inc value (applies after im gone only, of course)?
    Have a picture (a copy of it for each item) of him signing my stuff w me sitting tbere
    when the tv shows ask for provenance, or whatever to prove something is authentic-why just a sheet of paper and not a picture?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

even on Ebay their tools go for 90% of the original price often or more..Not saying that's a bad thing but I would not hold my breath on finding a screaming deal on a Boggs spoke shave or a low angle jack..Aint gonna happen..

Won't stop me...just asking.

In "the early days", when they were starting out. Tom would offer to some customers a "pre-production price", to get a bunch of orders ahead of being offered to the public. It wound up being a nice discount, normally 15-20 percent less than the eventual selling price. I've purchased 5 or 6 tools from him that way...but now I've never heard of any sales from the company.... just 3rd party sellers like highland and woodcraft (when they carried Toms tools). It was so long ago that lately I inquired about the pre production pricing and the sales person said there was no such thing and he never head of it.

Garrett Wade (http://www.garrettwade.com) often runs sales where you can get 15% off and sometimes free shipping. They have some Lie Nielsen tools so this might be as close as you get. I bought a set of LN chisels when they had one of their 15% off sales and that was the best deal I have ever found for LN tools.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrell W Sloan View Post
    Garrett Wade (http://www.garrettwade.com) often runs sales where you can get 15% off and sometimes free shipping. They have some Lie Nielsen tools so this might be as close as you get. I bought a set of LN chisels when they had one of their 15% off sales and that was the best deal I have ever found for LN tools.
    That is a sweet deal- better than many eBay finds on LN. I always thought LN had a deal like Oakley where you could not put them on sale. I guess I need to start watching Garrett Wade.

Garrett Wade often has 15% off sales and has some Lie Nielsen products.

Blog Entries
    LN on eBay is an interesting spectator sport. I tracked their planes for around two years and was amazed at the number of times one would sell for more than list, and the seller was charging more than LN for shipping. On the other hand, if you exercise some patience you shouldn't have much trouble getting most any of their regular production planes for around 15% off. I built my collection that way. Some of the less common ones come up too infrequently, so they may command 90 or 95% of list. At that point I just prefer to spend the extra few dollars and get a brand new one directly from LN.

if you are really patient, once in a while you will get a bargain on one.
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cogswell View Post
    LN on eBay is an interesting spectator sport. I tracked their planes for around two years and was amazed at the number of times one would sell for more than list, and the seller was charging more than LN for shipping. On the other hand, if you exercise some patience you shouldn't have much trouble getting most any of their regular production planes for around 15% off. I built my collection that way. Some of the less common ones come up too infrequently, so they may command 90 or 95% of list. At that point I just prefer to spend the extra few dollars and get a brand new one directly from LN.

if you are really patient, once in a while you will get a bargain on one.
    Been doing the same lurking on eBay. I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy new. Over my remaining years, 10 or 15% isn't going to mean much. They are heirloom tools anyways. Thanks.