Thread: Birch Built In Bookshelf

Birch Built In Bookshelf

Hello,

Been doing allot of searching through the forum and have learned quite a bit so far about what to do and not to do when it comes to building the Birch built in Bookshelf i'm currently underway with. I plan on painting it white and am still unsure of a few things and im hoping you all can help!

From reading the forum I know not to use latex paint and use indoor oil paint as it will smell for to long.

What I learned to do is sand 220, prime, sand again, prime again, paint

What I don't know is what type of primer to use I see allot of talk about Zinsser Bin Shellac and Zinsser Cover Stain Oil,but not sure what is best.
    As for painting I was thinking about BM Advance Waterbourne or should I use some type of Enamel?

Im using a 3/4 birch plywood, it does not have many knots so I dont think there will be much bleeding through. I will be rolling it or brushing it on because I don't have a sprayer.

Any recommendations would be of huge help!

Zinsser SEALCOAT.

BM Advance would be a good choice for brushing/rolling. Keep in mind that white BM Advance will yellow very slightly over time.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Thanks for responses. What wouldn't yellow, an enamel any other recommendations such as prime and paint recommadations

Zinsser BIN shellac based primer and BW Satin Impervo waterbased paint would work well and won't yellow. Sherwin Williams Pro Classic acrylic latex enamel would also be a good choice.

FYI, people misuse the word "latex". Latex means nothing more than water based polymer emulsion. Water borne seems to be the new marketing phrase to separate acrylic enamels from latex wall paint, but they are both latex paints. SW (correctly) uses the word latex in their description of Pro Classic Interior Acrylic Latex Enamel, yet it is a hard acrylic paint. You don't want to use latex wall paint on your bookcase (because the polymers used in it are soft), but don't discount other products (using harder polymers) because they might have the word latex in their product description.

John

For the plywood - I would consider using MDO. It cost more but you won't have to worry about tear outs, knots, etc. Basically prime and paint

For the paint - I would consider General Finishes White Poly. I have always sprayed it and have ended up with excellent results - not sure how it is to brush or roll, but maybe someone else can chime in...

https://generalfinishes.com/professi...h#.VO-gE5z38yg