Thread: Job Site Saw Stop - Seen One? Used One?

Job Site Saw Stop - Seen One? Used One?

I was in Rockler and saw a job site Saw Stop on the floor. Have any of you had the cance to see one in action?

Blog Entries
    Job site and TS safety just don't seem to go together, they don't even use the guard in situations that would be very useful. As far as I can tell, most job site TS's have their blade guard tossed the first day. I don't get it. I understand they need production, but for 90% of the use, the guard doesn't get in the way. First time the SS fires on wet wood and they have to buy a new one, they will find a way around it. End of rant.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I was in Rockler and saw a job site Saw Stop on the floor. Have any of you had the cance to see one in action?
    I haven't seen it in action, but I did get to see it before they were announced and talk it over with the guy who had been using it for several months. Beta test. He was quite happy with it. IIRC, it has a riving knife and the guard attaches/removes quite easily.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Job site and TS safety just don't seem to go together, they don't even use the guard in situations that would be very useful. As far as I can tell, most job site TS's have their blade guard tossed the first day. I don't get it. I understand they need production, but for 90% of the use, the guard doesn't get in the way. First time the SS fires on wet wood and they have to buy a new one, they will find a way around it. End of rant.
    They toss the guard because they have historically been a PITA to attach/remove. Make it easier to do those, and they're less likely to get tossed. Especially if the tosser is forced to pay for a new one. Every time. That, however, is a management issue beyond the scope of this thread.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Guys,
    I have had one for about 2 months and like it. You can read my review and pics on this site. They were posted Dec 31, 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I wish someone would put this wet wood myth to rest. Sawstop brakes do not activate when ripping a 2x6. Unless you are cutting dripping wet pressure treated lumber, moisture content isn't a problem.

I did finish carpentry for a while, and saw a lot of job sites. I saw one sawstop in all that time. Owner said he liked it, but it had fired a couple of times during use and that was annoying. The standard jobsite saw around here seems to be the older delta contractors saw. I have never seen a guard on one.