Thread: Loose tote on a wooden plane ???

Loose tote on a wooden plane ???

Have been restoring a very nice wooden plane with W. Butcher iron and cap iron.
    I notice that the tote is just a tiny bit loose where it is inset into the body of the plane. Sure don't want this to get worse, and was wondering what the best way to tighten the tote.
    It could be that the low humidity during the winter months has something to do with the dimension.

I just don't want to do somethin' stupid.

Suggestions from the group?

Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Is the tote secured with a nail or screw at the front, or is it just glued in?
    If the tote is "just a tiny bit" loose, I would leave it alone. If/when it gets to the point where you can slide it up and down in its mortise a lot, I would remove it, lightly clean the tenon and mortise (don't sand; just clean off loose debris and dirt), and then reglue with hide glue. Liquid or hot, either should work. There is no need to remove the old hide glue.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Thanks Steve. No nails. I guess that it is just glued in.
    This is my first wooden jack, and has a closed tote. I don't want the "socket" for the tote to become distorted.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.