Thread: Bandsaw dust collection modification

Bandsaw dust collection modification

The stock dust collection port on my bandsaw just was not getting enough of the dust generated. I bet most of what fell through the table left the cabinet and on to the adjacent area. I did a little research and got this idea which I modified it to my saw. It works great and dust collection is very much improved. I want to say it gets everything that falls through the table but I guess that is a bit of a stretch. I thought I would share it in case some of you would like to give it a try and breathe a little easier.

The pictures pretty much say say it all.

Bandsaw2.jpgBandsaw1.jpgBandsaw3.jpgBandsaw4.jpg
    Last edited by Raymond Fries; 02-14-2015 at 5:43 PM. Reason: Typo - I hate it when that happens
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Very clever and aesthetic design. Magnets offer lots of possibilities. I've "tolerated" the escaping dust - happy that the majority of bandsaw dust was collected - but you've inspired me to try and improve collection.

Nice execution - thanks for the tip, I might try that with my 14" Rikon.

Very neat and tidy Raymond. Your set up does prompt a question. I am about to run a branch fitting off the 4" hose that services the 4" dust port on my bandsaw as well. I see a number of designs that have the additional hose directed down on the table top from overhead. You appear to be capturing up those additional dust particles that occur right at the blade from under the table. I know they get there because I often end up cleaning saw dust away from the top of the lower wheel housing or off the lower guide assemblies. Do you think attacking the problem of dust that occurs at the blade is always better addressed from below the table? It does make sense. Gravity should be working for you not against you. Plus it is completely out of the way in all cases if mounted below. But I have seen so many DC system design examples that put that particular dust hose and hood above the table instead of below it that I had concluded that the standard was to mount it above and not below the table.

Raymond, looks like a very nicely done solution. I have been thinking of doing a bifurcated setup too. Just choosing the right components and optimizing per my saw is the challenge. What particular bandsaw is that, BTW? I have a Powermatic 14", and it seems to generate a LOT of dust. I have used a large hose attached to the rear dust port, then switched to a smaller hose below the table, but really need both. One without the other does seem pointless. What part of the below table setup do you think is most important? It seems like boxing in the area, and not losing vacuum is key, but I just can't figure out how to do that with something that can be quickly removed when needed. Also don't know how an enclosure would work when tilting the table.

James - I have never tried to capture above the table so I cannot offer a comparison on which is better. I just could not come up with a solution that was out of the way no matter what height the wood was. Is my solution perfect. No. It is much better than before and I am happy with the way it works for the small investment and time it took to put it together.

Rick - I have a Shop Fox 1706. I will have to remove the port if I tilt the table but 99% of my work is at 90 degrees so for me it is fine. As I said to James, it is not perfect but it does get almost everything that falls through the table. My DC is a Delta 1.5 HP and it sits about 15' away from the band saw. If you really want to seal it up, maybe you could use some of that stick on weather stripping on the edges of your fabricated port. Good Luck with your solution.

Take Care guys...
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...