Thread: Bandsaw tire installation

Bandsaw tire installation

I have had mixed results replacing the rubber tires on my Laguna LT18 450. This model was manufactured in Italy; mine was made in 1994. The urethane tire that I had lying around forever would not stay on the top wheel.

The first rubber tire would not take a crown using 80 grit stearate treated sand paper glued to a board. The tire remained flat in the center even though I spent hours spinning the wheel by hand. So I moved on to the lower wheel. While it was spinning under power, the sand paper also would not remove material except a slight amount from the very edge which appeared polished. I saw elsewhere that some have used a lathe chisel to cut away the surface. This did work but the chisel grabbed several times and took some small divots.

I ordered a new pair of tires and began again and had the same problem using the sand paper. It just would not cut the rubber even though I kept replacing it with fresh stock. Finally, I tried a rasp. It was the cat’s meow and cut away the rubber in a matter of minutes. I used an inexpensive one that I have had for over 30 years and kept it moving slightly as it cut in order to avoid tracks in the rubber which can be a problem with machine made rasps. Maybe others have used this technique. I would highly recommend it.

Blog Entries
    Great info David. Thanks!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The folks over at OWWM have a long list of methods that work, and don't for crowning tires. It's maintained by Bob Vaughn. He has extensive experience on the topic. I do mine on a simple 6" grinder with a jig and it works like a champ.

Crowning 1.jpg

The belt sander was a catastrophe. Let Bob Vaughn know your method. He keeps a running list of good ones and disasters.

I have successfully crowned tires on a lathe using very sharp gouges....I like rubber tires and they work easily and last a very long time.

David