Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: needs some ideas for an anti-tailgating device

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

needs some ideas for an anti-tailgating device

Don't think it's possible to stop tailgating but I can think of a way to make it unpleasant for them... but I need some suggestions on what are some fairly low burning temp chemicals that put off a real bad smell when they burn, preferably with a bit of smoke for effect... any suggestions? Or some ready made gases that have a bad smell in small quantities. Obviously they need to be nontoxic but repulsive
    Last edited by Brian Ashton; 02-28-2015 at 7:05 AM.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

I tried a couple of things. First I mounted a set of Cibie Super Oscars on the back of my truck. More for high beams, but good for tailgaters. Third time I used them it was a county sheriff. End of that story.

Second time I drilled and tapped the exhaust manifold, plumbed it with to a windshield washer pump and reservoir, and filled it with cod liver oil. Flip the switch and the dual exhaust emited the worst smelling smoke you can imagine. It only worked a short time before the injector in the manifold would plug, but it was fun for tailgaters.

I had a good one by accident. I was running a gravel train and I had one of those guys trying to save mileage tucked in behind me where I couldn't see him. Someone had dropped a couple of bags of mortar in my lane and there was no way to avoid them. They got hit by 11 axles and instantly created an impenetrable cloud from tree line to tree line on I75. I never saw that car again.

Larry! You oughta include a warning when you post things like that. I about choked on my coffee.

4. Needless to say I was not thinking about the kind of tailgaters you are refering to and could not imagine why you had against tailgaters (the kind that get together at football games, ect. Very popular around here). But now I get it LOL.

Blog Entries
    I mounted a mirror to the tailgate. At night if you get too close it aims your lights right back at you.

That's clever.

Passive, but is it legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    That's clever.

Passive, but is it legal?

Is tailgating or speeding? In other words who cares, I don't
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    Don't think it's possible to stop tailgating but I can think of a way to make it unpleasant for them... but I need some suggestions on what are some fairly low burning temp chemicals that put off a real bad smell when they burn, preferably with a bit of smoke for effect... any suggestions? Or some ready made gases that have a bad smell in small quantities. Obviously they need to be nontoxic but repulsive
    where i live it seems that everyone tailgates but in reality some do and many do not. Its just the way people drive and I normally just move out of the way and let them go thru if they are in such a rush. i think the government could do more by sending a message to drivers that tailgating is not good.

To start with, make sure you are traveling the speed limit. If you're driving below the speed limit I think it's rude to hold up people behind you, so pull over and let people pass.

If somebody is really riding your tail, either slow way down so they go around you, wave them on, or pull over.

Anything you do besides being passive is asking for trouble and is likely dangerous.

I mumble quite a few choice words at the amount of morons that are on the road - crossing the center line, texting, talking on the phone, driving too slow, not signaling, etc. but I try to keep it at that. It's not worth doing something stupid.

I don't know how to create an odour, but on a previous car, I installed a toggle switch that turned on my brake lights. A couple of flips of that and most backed off, scared that they were going to rear end me.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Blog Entries
    Didn't one of the James Bond cars have some cool devices that would discourage tailgaters?
    NOW you tell me...

Worst tailgater I ever had was at night. He was so close that I sped not knowing that he was a city cop and he hit his lights and I topped real short he ended up in front of me in the ditch and barley could talk. he told me that I was doing 50 MPH and I said yes I know that is what the speed limit sign that we just past was posted when I sped up.

I've seen ,in bumper to bumper going to the beach traffic ,wackos who blink their lights as if they thought everyone was
    going to pull off the road and let them speed by.

I have a motorhome with large trailer that I take on long freeway trips. The cruise is always set at 65 MPH no matter what the speed limit is. The speed limit is usually 75 MPH, but sometimes up to 80 MPH. There is rarely any other traffic on the road so other drivers have no reason to tailgate and can easily pass in the left lane. I never drive in the left lane unless passing or for a left exit. (Very rare to pass any vehicle.)

If someone does tailgate me my speed will never change. They can flash their lights all day long for all I care. It is their choice not to pass in the left lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I have a motorhome with large trailer that I take on long freeway trips. The cruise is always set at 65 MPH no matter what the speed limit is. The speed limit is usually 75 MPH, but sometimes up to 80 MPH. There is rarely any other traffic on the road so other drivers have no reason to tailgate and can easily pass in the left lane. I never drive in the left lane unless passing or for a left exit. (Very rare to pass any vehicle.)

If someone does tailgate me my speed will never change. They can flash their lights all day long for all I care. It is their choice not to pass in the left lane.
    They are tailgating to catch your draft and save gas Brian.