Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaper based/other profile & edge sanding solutions?

Ta again Paul - that's good to know. Even with an edge sander there may be a need for one for small diameter spindle sanding work.

Those brackets for your vacuum pump are a lovely example of the sort of job it's very hard to do any other way (at least to that standard of finish) except with a spindle sander Bill...

Thanks for putting up the pics JR. My Mac isn't opening them, but i found some pics of the same type of sander on various websites. That's a level higher again to where i was thinking with even an oscillating belt sander - a solid steel and cast iron production machine with quite a few extra features compared to a basic model - including the ability to accept a power feeder for production type work. Even a very elderly used one looks to be heading for €2,000 over here.

Usable oscillating belts seem to start round about the Jet OES-80CS which runs around €800 here, but it's not remotely in the same class as your SCMI/Minimax. This review video is unusually candid and informative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ36Smjrkc4 Against that while yours would be nice it's more than i need.

The good news is that there's quite a bit of choice out there, the hard question as ever is where the junk stops and usable machines start… It's pity, but we tend not to get a lot of used stuff coming up here because our market is so small.

Thanks guys, at least the picture is coming clear in terms of the progression of options available out there. Time for more research and thought...

PS added later - one of these would be nice: http://scosarg.com/itech-w0501-oscil...in-sander.html This is a UK sold version, but it seems to be from the East, and to pop up in other markets. Anybody seen one like it in the US, and know anything about it?
    Last edited by ian maybury; 03-01-2015 at 8:52 PM.