Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodtek 20" Disk Sander Wiring Question

Woodtek 20" Disk Sander Wiring Question

I just bought a woodtek 20 inch disk sander. It is wired right now for 220 you can switch it to 110 but the manual doesn't help and I'm not good with electrical. Post pic please help dying to use this baby.
    Last edited by Chris worley; 03-20-2015 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Forgot pics

This is pic of wiring and the cover
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is pic of wiring and the cover
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I really can't help you on your question, but you might want to move this thread to the general WW forum or maybe the workshop forum. This one is for problems and questions about the web site and how to use it, and it does not get very much traffic.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Looks like they made it impossible for you. They show you a numbered system and have it wired as a color system. You'll have to find out what number goes with what color to get this figured out.

Look closely at the wires. You may find printed numbers somewhere along their length.

It's usually pretty easy to figure out by looking at it. But if you can't, call Woodworkers Supply tomorrow, although being the weekend, the right guy might not be there. They're usually good at finding help or a replacement part quickly. I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier today, or I'm sure it would have been no trouble finding help there. I have several Woodtek machines, and something is usually lost in translation with the onboard information, but I don't let that stop me from liking them just fine.

Yea I called got sent to a guy that sent me copy of manual but there was nothing in the book that would help. Will call again see if I can get someone to help. I am lost when it comes to electrical and don'twant to burn this baby up before iI can even use it. Thanks

Nope no numbers that I can find on the wires

I just rewired a contractor saw from 220v to 110v. It took me a while to find them but the numbers were printed in a white paint on the wires. At first I thought the numbers were missing but I eventually found them. They weren't at the end of the wires where I was expecting them to be either.

Wow! I rewire motors quite a bit, but that doesn't make any sense at all. For starters, I can only see about 8 wires even though the horrible schematic implies there are 12. It almost looks like the typical Chinese trick of copying something (the schematic) from another machine without actually knowing what its intended purpose is. Best of luck!

Hey I found the numbers on the wires but still don't make any sense if I look at that diagram that's on the cover. Think one of u guys could help now that I have found numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Chris worley View Post
    Hey I found the numbers on the wires but still don't make any sense if I look at that diagram that's on the cover. Think one of u guys could help now that I have found numbers
    Can you upload another photo with the numbers and arrows pointing to each wire?

I'm trying to match up what I'm seeing in the picture with either the clockwise or counterclockwise 220v diagram, but I'm not seeing it.
    Obviously you have your plug coming in with 2 hots, a neutral, and a ground. I'm thinking the 220v diagram is ignoring the neutral completely, even though it's obviously hooked up to something.
    Does that make the two hots 5 and 6 then? That would make sense why they're red, but then the arrow at the top of the diagram pointing down would indicate to me power coming in. It's a very confusing diagram!

I'd be inclined to just experiment. First thing I'd try for 110v would be hook up any wire labeled 2 and 4 with the hot to one set of terminals, and the 1 and 3 wire(s) with the neutral to a second set of terminals. If it turns on and runs backwards, swap the neutral and hot and try again.
    ~Garth

Reversing the hot and neutral will do nothing to reverse the motor. You will need to reverse the fields.

I have a 20" woodtek sander. I can't help you with your problem but I can give you a heads up. This thing draws a ton of energy on start up. Mine is wired 220 on a 30 amp breaker, which it trips every time you start it up, if it didn't trip the breaker it would fry the capacitors. I have a system for starting it which is getting it spinning as much as I can by hand and then turning it on for 3-4 seconds, let the circuit cool for about 5 seconds, repeat at least 2-3 times. It works great when it's up to speed but getting it there takes a lot of juice. If you can you should stick with 220. If you have to go with 110 make sure the wiring is rated for it.
    I timed it one day after I shut it off, it took 16 minutes before it stopped spinning.... That is a heck of a fly wheel!