Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G0766 - 22 x 42 Lathe - Cancelled

G0766 - 22 x 42 Lathe - Cancelled

I tried to post on the "Ordered" Thread, but it is so long I couldn't find the end and it wouldn't let me post a picture.. Anyway.....I called Grizzly to order a Chuck and while I was talking with CS I ask about the Lathe shipping date. She told me that it was still up in the air. I mentioned all the dates floating around on the forum and she said that they didn't know anything certain as this time. I CANCELLED MY ORDER. Then with to town and came back with this:
    IMG_20150302_152708580_HDR.jpg

The shipping date was not really the reason I cancelled it. I have been thinking about cancelling the order for a few weeks now. The main reason was that there are no Grizzly Service Centers in this part of the world, but there are five Powermatic Service Centers with in 40 miles of the house, two of them within 25 miles. I am not "mechanically inclined", so that means a lot to me. The 15% off deal also played a big part.

congratulations on the mustard monster.....no agony

Bill that's great I don't have one but I'm sure your love it.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Bill, if you're gonna bite the bullet on one of those, this is the time to do it. Unfortunate about the shipping delays for the Griz, they'll likely lose others for similar reasons. I think they didn't expect the release to be filled with such high numbers of orders.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Good for you, I think you made the right decision. I have this big guy and enjoy it.

Welcome to the mustard club you are going to love it.

7. Congrats on the Mustard monster, Bill! Can't fault you for looking out for what you think is best! Seems like anytime a new model hits the catalog at Grizzly, there seems to be hiccups at least with shipping dates, then it all gets sorted out. That happened with my G0698 back 5 years ago. IF I remember, you cancelled for the same reason before on the 18/47. I remain hopeful that the units will arrive sooner rather than later, but we will have to see! We Americans are just not used to having to wait for when we want make a purchase......it is a bummer for sure!

I have turned on 9 different PM 3520b units, and for the most part they have been good. Two of the units had issues.........one a bearing and one had a faulty switch........last week at a demo our guest had a handle come apart on him on the 3520b, and on that same unit, I had done a box demo back nearly 2 years ago and the handle on the tailstock wheel came completely off it! Minor stuff.

I am going to keep my order, as I want the longer distance of the G0766 between centers. Otherwise, minus the safety cage and a little different headstock design, they are pretty much the same. Cousins by the same manufacturer. Powermatic still uses the Delta S inverter......at least that was what was on the 3520b on the Woodcraft showroom floor 3 weeks ago when I was in Roanoke, but the Grizzly has the Delta M inverter, which I hear is the smoothest available for the lathe.

Best of luck with your new unit........you will love it, I think!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Bill i'm sure you will enjoy the Powermatic. I have had Grizzly lathes and upgraded to a 3520B. No regrets, I have use it almost everyday for the last three years.
    Fred

I suspect you scared the crap out of a couple of folks who read your thread title and thought it meant that Grizzly had canceled the release of this lathe altogether.

The G0766 has the potential to be a real game changer in the woodturning world. But it also has the potential to be a dud (which I doubt) or, more likely, something that needs to have a few kinks worked out upon initial release. Either way, so long as you could afford the extra $$, you certainly have not made a mistake. I bought my 3520B when my Delta 46-460 suffered the infamous power switch failure and I was told it would take 3 months minimum to fix. As it turned out, it only took about 3 weeks to fix, but by then I already had my mustard monster. I don't regret buying it at all.

You absolutely made the right decision.
    WOOD SNIPER-Start off slow, then taper off

Congrats on getting the new lathe Bill, you'll have plenty of fun with that one.
    Len

12. My Grizzly 18/47 has been a superb performer with heavy useage for over 5 years........the owners I know who have the G0733 have had great service from those units.........Over on wood central, there is a thread about a 3520b inverter going bad. I have numerous friends with that lathe & one with a Oneway 2436.......a number of problems have occurred with their lathes........point .....any make can have a problem!

The Grizzly higher end lathes are NOT junk! The U.S. dollar is at an eleven year high this morning, and the strong dollar againt foreign currencies has a lot to do with the price being low.......lucky for all those who have one on order.....they will be getting a great lathe at a fantastic value!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-03-2015 at 7:15 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Congratulations Bill! You will love that lathe, and it will serve you well.

First, congrats on the new machine!!!
    Can't say I blame you for your decision one bit Bill and looks like your choice was a good one indeed. The thought of waiting has made me also think of the same thing.
    It's not that I can't wait til May, it's the thought of another push back to August or Sept......heck I might be getting a lathe for Christmas for that matter.
    Anyway, enjoy and be sure to post a pic and let us know how you like your new machine!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    .......a number of problems have occurred with their lathes........point .....any make can have a problem!

Good point, our local club has a Nova DVR, as I do. Mine probably has 10x the hours on it that the club lathe does. I have had to repair the club lathe electronics, twice. The display failed and the mother board failed.
    My personal DVR has not had one problem.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.