Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can I haul this much Teak?

As I recall, a meter measures about 40". So a pile of lumber 16 cubic meters would measure 40"x40" x 52.8' long. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    As I recall, a meter measures about 40". So a pile of lumber 16 cubic meters would measure 40"x40" x 52.8' long. Is that correct?
    There's a lot of different dimensions that will compute to 16 cubic meters. Your example is one meter by one meter by about 53 feet. But another could be one meter by two meters by about 26 feet. There are an infinite number of combinations.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Dirk,

Sent you a PM, but your box is full!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    how much would some sort of uhaul be to rent? and make 1 trip, save you time and gas...

Does anyone have any info on that?
    I'd love to do it in one trip, but is there a uHaul or similar large enough to do it in one trip, that someone's aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by James Phillips View Post
    I am intrigued about what someone does with that much Teak.... And how much it cost. Teak can run $20/bd-ft time 6700 is $134,000.... Wow
    I'm intrigued, too
    I dunno what I'm going to do with it either....
    FEQ Teak (First European Quality)
    I paid $1.49/bf. Need I say more?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Beiting View Post
    Dirk,

Sent you a PM, but your box is full!

Mark
    Box no longer full.

Quote Originally Posted by dirk martin View Post
    I'd love to do it in one trip, but is there a uHaul or similar large enough to do it in one trip, that someone's aware of?
    You need a CDL to drive a vehicle over 26,000 lbs., you can't rent a bigger truck without a CDL. That puts you at two trips at least. If you can afford over $100K of lumber at one go surely you can afford the kilobuck or two to have someone truck it safely for you! Go to one of the online sites like freightquote.com to get an idea of what the shipping charges would be.

Looks like a 26 foot truck from Penske, 1 trip, will run $1,300.00

I've got a co-worker (and his buddy as a ride-along) willing to do it with my F150 and trailer, for $250 per round trip, if I pay gas.
    I'd rather put my money in his pocket, then Penske's.

Still weighing my options....

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    You need a CDL to drive a vehicle over 26,000 lbs., you can't rent a bigger truck without a CDL. That puts you at two trips at least. If you can afford over $100K of lumber at one go surely you can afford the kilobuck or two to have someone truck it safely for you! Go to one of the online sites like freightquote.com to get an idea of what the shipping charges would be.

Freightquote is telling me $1,800.00

I haven't been to the OH site, to see the teak.
    I've seen lots of photo's, however.
    One lot of 8cbm, is nicely palletized onto 15 pallets.

The 2nd lot of 8cbm, consists of 31 pallets. Looking at the pallets, it can easily be consolidated. I mean, some pallets had like 10-12 boards on them, is all. If I send a trucking firm to get it, the trucker isn't going to combine any pallets for me. He'll just pull up, and say "load it". Right?

That's another reason why I'm leaning towards sending my co-worker. He'll do whatever's neccessary to get this teak home, efficiently. The trucker won't lift a finger, I imagine. So, if the some of the 31 pallets aren't secured right, or have some lose boards on them, he'll simply say "leave it...I ain't hauling that.", is what I'm afraid of.

Blog Entries
    The Teak to be hauled is listed as 16 cbm (As in Cubic Meters).

Can I haul that much teak in 2 trips with my truck and trailer?

I'm struggling converting the 16 CBM to Board feet accuratly, as well as what to expect weight wise.
    It's kiln dry to 8%
    1 cubic meter = 423.776001 board feet, so your load would be 6780 board feet. Teak weighs about 3.6 pounds per board foot so your total weight would be about 24410 pounds.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'm an engineer and math kind of guy, so I've been so busy verifying all of your calculations ...

But it just occurred to me, and nobody brought it up. What's all this exotic teak doing in Ohio?

Now it's all gonna be in upper Wisconsin, and everyone's gonna ask the same question regarding that location.
    I'm just going to tell everyone I planted a few trees out back a few years ago, and just got around to harvesting them....good way to tell who's on the ball or not.

What's your truck's rated maximum loaded trailer weight?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

No, not without a CDL. Budget, UHaul, Penske and whoever else won't rent anything over 26k GCWR to you unless you have a CDL. If you do have a CDL, you can rent anything you can drive. (See Ryder, they rent Class 8 tractors and straight trucks.)

That said, if the load is 16 cubic meters, I'd farm it out. A load of that size needs to be properly secured. The # of questions being asked indicates that you don't have the experience in securing loads that would be necessary to do so safely. (Note, neither do I, and I drove Over The Road for a while. But I didn't drive a flatbed....)

Good luck.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.