Thread: Computer question

Blog Entries

Computer question

I recently purchased a new computer running Windows 8.1 Home edition. It came with McAfee, which I can't stand, so I removed it. I installed an anti virus program I have a subscription with and I got a notice on the screen that says I need malware protection, which my virus checker does not do. On my Windows 7 machine Windows Defender runs in company with this virus protection software that I own. However, Windows Defender is not working on the new machine ans has been disabled in some way. When I tried to start it it is installed, but disabled. I have tried to enable windows defender, but it will not run. I tried to down load windows defender and it says it is already installed. No option to repair an existing installation.

I did some searching and some information I found says that Windows Defender in version 8.1 is both a malware detection and an anti-virus program. Does anyone know for sure if this is the case?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

All the reviews say that Windows Defender is completely worthless. I know that in the 4 years I used it it didn't find a single problem, while Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware found several.
    I switched to Panda. I have never gotten a message about needing malware protection. (this computer is W7, but my laptop is W8...)

Install ccleaner and run it in the registry mode. Second tab down on the left.
    Let it do it's thing by clearing all errors it finds.
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I run AVG free edition and Spybot search and destroy and in 15 years never caught a virus (KNOCK ON WOOD)
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander