Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hole Too Large for Screw

Hole Too Large for Screw

During the course of taking down doors, sanding, painting, and reinstalling them, a couple of the holes are too large for the screws. These are screws that hold a thumb lock mechanism for the bathroom door. It's only on the inside and the screws are very short so they won't interfere with the throw of the lock. Any ideas on how to fill the hole partially or completely so that it can then prove useful? I have never seen screws this short...but it's needed in this situation.

Durham's rock hard wood putty

Quote Originally Posted by John Schweikert View Post
    Durham's rock hard wood putty
    I have used that in the past and didn't realize you could screw into it. That stuff is sure difficult to sand.

I am a believer in wooden match stick ends. Cram 1 into hole and break off flush. I don't know how many times I have done it over the past 40 years.
    -bernie

I agree with Bernie I've always used tooth picks with a little wood glue. Its works great

Golf Tee's work also
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Fill Screw Holes

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    During the course of taking down doors, sanding, painting, and reinstalling them, a couple of the holes are too large for the screws. These are screws that hold a thumb lock mechanism for the bathroom door. It's only on the inside and the screws are very short so they won't interfere with the throw of the lock. Any ideas on how to fill the hole partially or completely so that it can then prove useful? I have never seen screws this short...but it's needed in this situation.
    I've used wooden matches and multiple tooth picks (broken off to the depth of the hole). Works very well. Also, tho I've never tried it, I think you could use a product from JB Weld called Kwik Wood (an epoxy puddy) that can be pared, planed, sanded and drilled.

+1 on the toothpicks or just slivers of wood from any scraps you have laying around (studs, cedar shim, popsicle sticks, coffee stir sticks etc.). Never added any glue. Pretty common problem no need to complicate the solution.
    Problem with using glues or epoxy ( like JB Weld) is if you make the plug harder than the surrounding wood, the plug can deflect the screw into the surrounding wood instead of going straight in.
    Last edited by Doug Garson; 03-03-2015 at 9:35 PM. Reason: comment on making plug harder

golf tees work great

This stuff is great:
    Woodmate 2498 Mr. Grip Screw Hole Repair Kit
    In googling for this I found a website that said matchsticks were only temporary, but steel wool worked great. Never tried it.

I keep 3/16" dowel rod in the tool box for this, drill a 3/16" hole so it blows out any of the old screw hole, I run in the leading edge on a pencil sharpener so they start easy, then a dab of glue, knock them in, flush them up and reinstall the hardware using a vix bit as a new installation. For really tiny screws a smaller gauge of dowel might be more appropriate?
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Quote Originally Posted by William A Johnston View Post
    I agree with Bernie I've always used tooth picks with a little wood glue. Its works great
    On my shelf where the glue bottles live are three boxes of toothpicks: Round, Square, and Flat. With that combo, I can cram any hole full of toothpicks. Let the glue dry, and Mr Chisel pares them off cleanly.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

This hole is a bit precarious. Directly behind the hole is where the bolt sits. So I cannot push whatever will fill the hole all the way down or it would interfere with the locking bolt. It's likely the locking bolt can be removed and then the finger will be used to feel for the depth of the material inserted to close the hole. Lots of effort for such a small task.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    I keep 3/16" dowel rod in the tool box for this, drill a 3/16" hole so it blows out any of the old screw hole, I run in the leading edge on a pencil sharpener so they start easy, then a dab of glue, knock them in, flush them up and reinstall the hardware using a vix bit as a new installation. For really tiny screws a smaller gauge of dowel might be more appropriate?
    +1
    I've done the matchstick but did this on my last door finish job and it worked great.

Another item that I like to use is bamboo skewers. They also work well