Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this planer worth?

What is this planer worth?

I've been thinking about upgrading from my small Delta lunchbox planer to a larger planer with an induction motor. I've got my eye on an older Delta like the one in the picture below (not the exact one) but not sure what's a fair price. The seller is asking $1000, and the lowest he will go is $950. It's a 13" model not 15". His price seems pretty high, I can pick up a brand new Grizzly 15" planer for $1150, but I know how good these older Delta machines are. Are these types of Delta planers worth around the $1000 range?

2e2jnlt.jpg

I would say price to high......

Blog Entries
    I would be interested at $400 to $500 for that form-factor in good usable shape. I think the seller has sentimental value factored into his price. Although I did just see a listing for a similar Jet for $900!?! This was in among another Jet for $400 and some similar machines around $500 with the requisite Powermatic fan trying for $1200 for his.

The price is probably area and availability driven to some extent. What are other 15" planers of the Delta, Grizzly, Jet and Powermatic persuasion in your area going for?
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-05-2015 at 6:32 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Too high - get the grizzly and you've got a warranty

$600.00 is the most I would pay for that planer. I paid $975.00 for my Delta DC-380 15" planer but it's in perfect condition with a nice set of accessories. Hold out until you find something cheaper in price.

That is the Delta RC 33, earlier version of the later DC 33. RC is a very nice planer and I would take it over new if condition is good. Most were made in Brazil, dc 33 in Taiwan. That said, 500-750 is going price. If you can get it in the 600 range it is a great candidate for a Byrd head and you will have a better machine than new. 1K is too high. Dave

Don't worry about purchasing it from him; at that price he will own it for a long time. If you use a Grizzly coupon you will find the new one under warranty for about the same price he wants for his used Delta.

Not too long ago I sold an RC33 for $450 and was thrilled to get it. There was a glut of 13" machines in my area being sold around the same time....lowest price I saw was $250. Found a DC380 (15") to replace it for the same amount. I find if you are patient and check sale sites regularly, you can find what you want at a decent price.
    Ray

That one looks to be in pretty good condition

Couple of years ago I sold my 'one owner' RC-33 for $525 on Craigs List - it only lasted a couple of days

Purchased new in 1987 for $900, made in Brazil with a U.S. motor (that's about $1,900 in today's dollar). It really was a quality machine and they do not make them like that anymore.

Mine did not have the stand or the extension tables. Of course supply and demand is everything. Based on my experience, $600 to $700 would be a reasonable deal, if everything checked out

Go buy the Grizzly. He is asking way too much for a used planer and Delta parts are getting hard to find. If you want to splurge, get one with a spiral cutter head.

Red
    RED

I'm not even going to look at it. His craigslist ad says he is going out of business and selling his shop, pricing everything at 50-60% below retail.

I may either look at Grizzly 15", or a Dewalt D735 with spiral cutterhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Woloshyn View Post
    I'm not even going to look at it. His Craigslist ad says he is going out of business and selling his shop, pricing everything at 50-60% below retail.

I may either look at Grizzly 15", or a Dewalt D735 with spiral cutterhead.
    I have purchased many tools and some from businesses. For a business purchase, I set the limit at 10% to 15% of the new price. Figure it's been abused and you will need to replace/repair every consumable item on it (bearings, belts, seals, etc.).

On a side-note, there is a barely-used segmented cutter-head Grizzly for sale from one of our members in New Jersey at a fair price. You can see his post here in the classified section:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ast-Central-NJ
    Last edited by Rich Riddle; 03-05-2015 at 9:44 PM.

I have almost the exact planer the OP is talking about except without the infeed/outfeed tables. I think I paid around $300 for it. Anything over $400 is too much IMO.

The seller is probably like me and can well remember what the machine cost new and how painful it was to come up with that much cash back then. I feel his pain-- not that that has anything to do with current value.

I've been thinking seriously about upgrading mine with a Shelix head, but this conversation has me reconsidering the wisdom of that. OTOH, it continues to work very well and new machines I've seen that I could afford seem flimsily built with somewhat crude castings and such by comparison.

I bought a grizzly 20 inch for 550$ it works great for me....