Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard from David Weaver?

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Wagener View Post
    anyone heard from Warren Mickley?
    I was away most of the day, but I have read most of this thread.

It is hard to know what to say here. It is frustrating to have people without much experience suggest one does not know what he is talking about. That some clumsy blogger must be a higher authority. Or many other examples in this vein

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    This is one of the caveats of the internet. Everyone, with only a few exceptions (those who are known through other media outlets), is on an equal footing. Forums, like SMC, may have those who are somewhat known as experts, but new members to the forum may not know them from Adam. Likewise, those who are grossly incompetent have a voice that perhaps gets more airtime than it should.
    I don't lose sleep over it.
    +1

When I joined SMC I had never heard of David Weaver. Or George Wilson or Warren Mickley either for that matter. Considering that there are a lot more people in the world I DON'T know than do that wasn't a big surprise.

So of course the first thing that goes through my mind: I have to trash talk other peoples life work and reputation even though I have no idea who they are. Or what I'm talking about.

The second thing that goes through my mind:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"

-Quote attributed to Samuel Johnson, Abraham Lincoln, Samuel Clements and others. Take your pick.

I'm keeping my mouth shut.

But misunderstandings will always be a problem on forums. I was PMed raking me over the coals about something I wrote and it turned out that we were in complete agreement. I didn't know what the problem was until I re-read what I had posted. Ouch, somewhere in editing I really botched it; I could have been worded my post a whole lot better! I was glad that we were able to settle it with a few PMs.

Maybe I should have my wife review my posts.

-Tom

If only there was virtual arm wrestling, we'd certainly sort out a lot of issues.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

If only there was virtual arm wrestling, we'd certainly sort out a lot of issues.
    I suppose you mean that in jest.
    However . . .
    I think that is exactly what you see going on around the globe right now.
    Rather than resorting to looking at facts and reality we got testosterone and head banging.
    Pretty soon everyone is brain damaged and few things are any better and many are worse.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    I suppose you mean that in jest.
    Depends on your definition of jest of course. Man by nature prefer to sort things out physically. If I call your kid ugly, you're more than likely to punch me in the nose. I then apologise, we share a beer and get on with out lives.

On the web we can't arm wrestle each other so we resort to fighting.

If we all sat around the camp-fire at night in the beautiful African bush, I promise you we'd all be friends.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-09-2015 at 5:43 AM.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

I know David very well. He is in reality a very kind and extremely generous person. And,I agree with Warren: It is frustrating. Go up and read his post above.

David is gone,and has burned his bridges,I'm afraid. Had I known what he was going to do,I'd have tried to talk him out of it for sure. But,it's too late.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-09-2015 at 9:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    If we all sat around the camp-fire at night in the beautiful African bush, I promise you we'd all be friends.
    Hilton, that was one of THE best thoughts and insights on this matter that I have ever read.

In fact, I'm probably going to use it in a sermon someday.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Weaver said something to the effect that he was frustrated here because the conversations did not advance. Apparently he has gone to a more advanced forum. Que sera sera.

This is tough...but it is understandable.

Personalities differ. Add to that the fact (as it has already been stated) that it is oh so very easy for intentions and attitudes to be misread on a forum such as this. And then...if that is not enough...throw in the fact that when we do invest our time and money and energy into this WWing thing...and we bring our work and ideas and experiences to this place only to have them criticized...well...you get the idea...
    I am never wrong.

A short comment and like in press conferences given by gov'mnt types no questions will be taken.

David asked to be relegated to guest status which means he can read but cannot post. It was his choice and while he gave his reasons, those like all communications with moderators remain private. Since his movement to guest status was at his request, he has by no means burned his bridges and can be reinstated at his request.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

My thanks to David for all of his contributions here. Will be glad to see him back should he decide to rejoin us here.

Best,
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I know David very well. He is in reality a very kind and extremely generous person. And,I agree with Warren: It is frustrating. Go up and read his post above.

David is gone,and has burned his bridges,I'm afraid. Had I known what he was going to do,I'd have tried to talk him out of it for sure. But,it's too late.
    I don't read every post but I'm not aware of any burnt bridges. And I think this thread demonstrates the loss felt here.

Don't mean to argue with you, George, just disagree or perhaps am not in the loop.

I have watched some of his YouTube videos and am please that he is still contributing to greater the knowledge base of woodworking.

Edit: I also felt a loss when Chris Griggs started to post less often, it been some time now and every once in a while hell pop in but he used to be here all the time.

2 edit: And George I sure do hope you stick around.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 03-09-2015 at 3:49 PM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

To anyone who might still be in contact with David Weaver...

Would you PLEASE (even "Pretty Please") ask him if it would be ok if you gave me his email address? If he gives you permission, you could PM me with it.
    I am never wrong.

I'll ask him,Harold. I have it,but best ask his permission.

Just a note of support from a lurker. I essentially visit this forum to read posts by George and David, with a few others that I will look at depending on the content. I actually started to archive all of their posts at one point on the off chance the forum dissolved or was otherwise unavailable, and would happily purchase a book or any other form of media that contained their knowledge. The majority of the value I get from this forum is from the small set of extremely knowledgable members and the ability to benefit from their experience and ask them questions.

I'm sorry that David has chosen to go somewhere else but wish it didn't have to be that way. I know that the idea is to treat everyone as equal, but I've seen other forums disintegrate when the professional and knowledgable members have been hounded and essentially chased off by a combination of argumentative newbies and misguided administrators. In my ideal world the administrators would be on the side of the experts who have a proven record and I really appreciate how hard David fought to make sure that accurate information would get into the hands of inexperienced woodworkers like me.