Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth getting a Hammer over a Sawstop?

I have a Grizzly G0623X ($3145 delivered) and really like it, Grizzly has a smaller sliding table saw G0700 ($2945 delivered) if the one I have is to big for your space. For me the price was right, quality was really good, 5HP motor with scoring blade and the sliding table is a nice feature to have. I feel that my sliding table saw has added some safety to my hobby.

I have been a Sawstop user for the past 4 years, just an awesome saw in my opinion. recently I purchased a Hammer B3 Comfort. Currently it's awaiting the completion of my new shop. Yes I will be selling the SS soon. This was a huge decision for me. I little the sliding table on the B3, the tilting shaper spindle and the fact I'll no longer be standing in front of the blade.

IMO either machine is worthy and capable of exceptional work. After the my shop is done (laying maple floor today), under floor dust collection install and running compressed air line I am ready to make the change to the B3, however SS is an excellent machine. Am I making a mistake..only time will tell!

Best of luck with your decision and happy woodworking!

Personally, I'm a fan...and an owner...of a slider. That would be the "right choice for me". But you have to make your decision based on your own needs and preferences. There is no "wrong answer" here!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have both a Hammer K3 Winner 48x48 and a Sawstop Professional, and I actually use both, crosscutting, ripping and sheet goods on the Hammer, mainly use the Sawstop for the numerous 3/4" slot fixtures I have already invested in, and cutting small parts.

jim

I think there is unwritten rule someplace that pics are to be posted when talking about your slider setups guys.I have the little add-on for my unisaw and for the small's its fantastic.I would love to have the real deal,with a 25x25 shop I see it being on center stage and the shop setup being around it.Purchase the real deal and you will never look back and say "what if".New or used its a matter of budget.Please post some pics once you get it setup

Since you have the Festool already, I don't see the advantage of the slider. I have the SS and the Festool and the combination is fine for me and I just couldn't see what the slider would add over the Festool/SS combination.

7. It sounds to me as though you want to get the slider but I must refer back to an earlier comment. You said you have a 25'x25' shop. Do you have room? I have only a slightly smaller shop and I do not have the physical space for that sort of equipment. Don't think just "foot print". You need space to maneuver around the equipment too.

Blog Entries
    IMHO you are talking about two different tools other than that they are both "saws". As others have mentioned, decide what it is you are going to do and then it will be easier to choose the right tool for that function. For pure sawing, I would lean toward a slider, no question. The many things I do on my western tablesaw make a fixed table, dual miter slot platform very useful. Not everyone uses a boatload of jigs for all kinds of foolishness like I do so you can see that determining how you intend to use the machine can help you determine the format you would prefer.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wagner View Post
    It sounds to me as though you want to get the slider but I must refer back to an earlier comment. You said you have a 25'x25' shop. Do you have room? I have only a slightly smaller shop and I do not have the physical space for that sort of equipment. Don't think just "foot print". You need space to maneuver around the equipment too.
    Look at my member page, at the albums to see some pics of a full size Felder in action in a 25x25 shop. This was my old shop.

Sliders come in all different sizes. you need to figure out what will work best for you for the type of work you will do. My sliders range from 18", 34", 38", 80", and 120". none were over 5K ( except Knapp saw shaper ). The midsize saws take up no more room than a fixed.DSCN2790.jpgDSCN2152.jpgDSCN2817.jpgDSC04299.jpgDSCN2153.jpg

I have a Festool track saw, 1400mm, and 3000mm tracks. I also have a set of non-OEM parallel guides. While the track saw is excellent for the initial cuts to break down a 4x8 sheet of plywood, it is not the most efficient and convenient way of cutting panels to size repeatedly. Certainly, it is much easier and safer than using my hybrid TS. I just can't see how a tracksaw can compete with a slider optioned with an out-rigger and flip-stops. Set the fence, set the flip-stop, cut, and repeat until you run out of sheet to cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakahisa Shinta View Post
    I have a Festool track saw, 1400mm, and 3000mm tracks. I also have a set of non-OEM parallel guides. While the track saw is excellent for the initial cuts to break down a 4x8 sheet of plywood, it is not the most efficient and convenient way of cutting panels to size repeatedly. Certainly, it is much easier and safer than using my hybrid TS. I just can't see how a tracksaw can compete with a slider optioned with an out-rigger and flip-stops. Set the fence, set the flip-stop, cut, and repeat until you run out of sheet to cut.
    Agreed.

My take. The SS is an awesome cabinet saw, buy it's less functional than a slider.

As long as the slider has enough stroke to do rip cuts, it is also safer than the SS because you never get your hands close to the blade and kickback is highly unlikely. As soon as you start using the rip fence to hand feed, the Euro saws become less safe than the SS. In which case, it becomes a question of which you value more: safety or functionality.

My personal opinion is that a big slider is the best saw you can get. If you can't fit that big of a saw in your shop, it becomes a more complex decision.

I have the 79" stroke Hammer K3 Winner, don't see how it takes up more room than a sawstop, as you have to have room to maneuver a sheet. Also got the 48" wide. Reason I wanted the longer stroke, was I wanted to be able to straight line rip lumber, works great, straight from saw to glue table. Had I not felt comfortable with the price, would have went to look at the Grizzly sliders. There are no small sliders selling in my area. I did go look at and watch in operation a big 10' stroke ScMI saw. They said their main concern for getting a slider was safety. No more handling the big sheets crosscutting to lengeth using a big standard tablesaw. They had a 14" powermatic. If Hammer had a 8' version available, would have gone with it. The Felder 8' is significantly more expensive. I can just cut a sheet to length first, then rip to width, using the outrigger.

I have used both and own the Hammer K3 Winner. Are you aware that one of our members has a barely-used one for sale about 2K cheaper than new? Rod has great opinions and advise concerning these units. Can't really add anything he hasn't already offered.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    I have the 79" stroke Hammer K3 Winner, don't see how it takes up more room than a sawstop, as you have to have room to maneuver a sheet.
    Jim makes an excellent point which adds to my "figure out what you are going to use it for" approach. I use almost no sheet goods. If you will use sheetgoods in your work, as I said before, I would go with the slider.

P.s. I'm a Saw Stop owner.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler