Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New LN Trepidation!

New LN Trepidation!

I'm new to planes, but have always admired the beauty of a well maintained, antique plane. I got some WoodRivers and have been enjoying learning how to set those up, along with some antique planes that i've acquired along the way.
    Well, just recently I received my first Lie Nielsen. Don't know why, but I could't even open the box right away. That was 2 days ago. This morning, I finally opened it up and unpacked my bronze #4. I could' believe my reaction when I held it in my hands...my heart started racing and all I could do was stare at it. It looks more like an award, than a tool to be used.
    I almost feel like just honing up the blade, then putting it away in a trophy cabinet. Maybe I should Keep it there for a few years, while I learn on the WRs and the antiques...Would that be weird or weirder than anything else I've just written?

Blog Entries
    Put it to use, it works even better as a plane !
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    I almost feel like just honing up the blade, then putting it away in a trophy cabinet ...Would that be weird or weirder than anything else I've just written?
    To me the only weird part is honing it, but not using it. If you're going to put it up in a cabinet, then why hone?

Blog Entries
    Joe's right, honing the blade will only destroy its collector value, which incidentally is currently about the same as its value as its used tool value.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Mine came used with a repaired tote so was easier to just start using. Got ahead a put a few scratches on it and you'll feel better

c
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

As general rules of thumb, I try not to:
    - buy cars that are too precious to drive
    - buy clothes that are too precious to wear
    - date a woman that's .....

~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

What is effect of T LN signing planes w engraver-w photo of him doing it?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I remember dating.

Can I recommend you get a friendly dog, instead?
    That way, he'll do all the heavy lifting.

You just have to walk along, and nod.

Get the right dog, and SWMBO will find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I remember dating.

Can I recommend you get a friendly dog, instead?
    That way, he'll do all the heavy lifting.

You just have to walk along, and nod.
    Sputter, spit, choke, gasp! There goes the coffee all over the monitor again. Dang Jim, that was a good one.

Derek - USE THAT TOOL! Put the pic in a frame above where you store the plane. But PLEASE use that tool Sir!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Derek,
    If you would like I will break it in for you.

Good one Jim.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

OF COURSE I'LL USE IT! I paid enough for it! But I'm only half way joking. It's just so dang pretty right out of the box. Wish I could afford one to use and one to keep fresh. Oh well, guess I'll have to be that much more careful when I do use it.

It's a tool. USE IT! If it helps, drill a hang hole in it and then drop kick across the room. Now it is ready to use.

Seriously, they're nice tools, but remember its value is about what you paid, by the time it is worth more than that, you'll have been worm food for a decade or three!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    It's a tool. USE IT! If it helps, drill a hang hole in it and then drop kick across the room. Now it is ready to use.

Seriously, they're nice tools, but remember its value is about what you paid, by the time it is worth more than that, you'll have been worm food for a decade or three!
    True dat...

I completely know how you feel. For the last 2 years I have bought mostly vintage Stanley and I was recently gifted a new LN 4 1/2. Without ever having a premium plane like this, I often wondered what the big deal was. I can hone any of my planes perfectly but there is simply a huge difference between their 4 1/2 and my vintage 4 1/2. Makes me want to go murder all of my planes now.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Williams View Post
    I completely know how you feel. For the last 2 years I have bought mostly vintage Stanley and I was recently gifted a new LN 4 1/2. Without ever having a premium plane like this, I often wondered what the big deal was. I can hone any of my planes perfectly but there is simply a huge difference between their 4 1/2 and my vintage 4 1/2. Makes me want to go murder all of my planes now.

Thanks for that. See...I was wondering...that's why I got the LN...just to see. Now, I know I'll have to get more.