Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time change

I know my parents wanted standard time year round because they had a greenhouse that grew tomatoes. The truck would pick up the days harvest at 3:00 pm whether it was DST or standard time but with standard they had an extra hour to harvest and pack the tomatoes. I think a lot of produce farmers would like to keep it standard time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I know my parents wanted standard time year round because they had a greenhouse that grew tomatoes. The truck would pick up the days harvest at 3:00 pm whether it was DST or standard time but with standard they had an extra hour to harvest and pack the tomatoes. I think a lot of produce farmers would like to keep it standard time.
    What the? I do not understand this at all. Its like this time change has warped the universe or something

Blog Entries
    To me DST is not for the farmers at all. In my mind, a farmer's work day is set by the sun, so a clock is relatively meaningless. DST is for the 8-5 people, giving them a extra hour of daylight after the workday is over. I personally love DST, and I wouldn't vote for any politician who tried to take it away for me.
    Even though, getting up an hour earlier this morning was a little rough, but I will get used to it, and have that extra hour of daylight around the house in the evening.
    Just saying. "No pancake is so thin that it doesn't have 2 sides."
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

For what it is worth, DST is explained in our area as something Mothers wish for as it makes a bit more daylight when children are going to school in the winter mornings. Whether Moms actually care or not is unknown to me. I grew up in Indiana which at that time did not engage in this sort of thing and was aware of no mashed children as a consequence. As an aside, my Grandmother was convinced that if you did not set your clock to read 12:00 at high noon where you lived then you were not on "God's Time" and much evil would ensue. That might explain a lot, who knows.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    The whole concept of DST is more idiotic than I can even put into words. It even seems BACKWARDS to me. The days are already long in the summer. In the winter, when we could really use more light in the evenings, we go back to standard time. Huh??
    I think going back to std time in the winter has more to do with the mornings than the evenings. If DST were year round, kids would be going to school in the dark, it would not get light til after 8:00am. So it makes perfect since to me.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    What the? I do not understand this at all. Its like this time change has warped the universe or something
    If you can start picking at 6:00 am instead of 7:00 am you get 1 hour more time to process the crop. standard time the sun comes up 1 hour earlier. Now do you understand.

Quote Originally Posted by terry mccammon View Post
    For what it is worth, DST is explained in our area as something Mothers wish for as it makes a bit more daylight when children are going to school in the winter mornings. Whether Moms actually care or not is unknown to me. I grew up in Indiana which at that time did not engage in this sort of thing and was aware of no mashed children as a consequence. As an aside, my Grandmother was convinced that if you did not set your clock to read 12:00 at high noon where you lived then you were not on "God's Time" and much evil would ensue. That might explain a lot, who knows.
    Actually it is darker in the morning with DST than standard time when kids are going to school and doesn't get dark till after they come home either way. So it would be more dangerous with DST.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    If you can start picking at 6:00 am instead of 7:00 am you get 1 hour more time to process the crop. standard time the sun comes up 1 hour earlier. Now do you understand.
    Just get up with the sun. I agree with the point above that its the city folk that worry about the time because of their jobs. Farmers likewise should wake when they need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I thought it was done by some code at http://www.time.gov/
    Computer use UTC (AKA GMT) time as their base for time. Computers determine when to change from DST to standard time based on config files that list what date to change based on the time zone the computer is configured for. UTC or GMT never changes. Only the offset from UTC changes. All of the atomic clocks broadcast time in UTC.

The config files for DST on every computer have to be changed. Some applications like Java have their config files for DST.

Blog Entries
    The hardest clock for me to change is the one on my wife's clock radio. Almost had to call my grandson. Even the microwave clock is simpler.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I am getting to (almost) look forward to this discussion every year at this time for 2 reasons:

1. It tells me Spring is almost here.

2. It is good for me to be reminded of just how prone to complaining and discontentment we people can be...even over stuff that doesn't really matter.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    I am getting to (almost) look forward to this discussion every year at this time for 2 reasons:

1. It tells me Spring is almost here.

2. It is good for me to be reminded of just how prone to complaining and discontentment we people can be...even over stuff that doesn't really matter.
    +1 to both points!
    Larry J Browning

John Oliver's Last Week Tonight show does a good job explaining it with their style of humor.

http://youtu.be/br0NW9ufUUw

What I dislike most about DST change is that I witness far more wildlife casualties while there is a sudden increase in traffic in their previously calmer morning road crossing.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Have to disagree with Harold on two points. Spring started February 4. I miss watching the days get longer without having to remember what others are pretending.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Time zones are needed for modern fast travel. They seldom are off more than a half hour from " local mean time". Where
    they are an inconvenience to populous areas they are even zig zagged around them. Completely different from pretend time.
    Why do we need time zones, why not the same time the world over?

Regards, Rod.