Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: name your straight edges!!

name your straight edges!!

I am currently shopping around for a good, true straight edge for setting up my jointer and general measuring of straightness. But dang, these things get expensive, and fast! Was considering an aluminum one from lee valley for the cost savings, although I'll lose some in tolerance. I noticed Grizzly has some steel, beveled ones for cheap, comparatively speaking: $54 for 36", supposedly accurate to .001". Where a Veritas Steel one will run upwards of $100 shipped. I suppose when it comes to woodworking, well, do I need machine shop tolerances accurate to a fleas brain diameter across the length?? I suppose it would be ideal for setting up tools, but honestly, where should I draw the line? well, where do you draw the line? And does anybody have any experience with any of the above mentioned Straightedges? Let's get-a-talkin some straight edges!!

This won't help: Starrett 48".......$300 +/-. It lives in it's own custom-built 3/4" ply case when not in use.

I was absolutely frustrated with setup on jointer and planer, and decided to put paid to that mess once and for all. Likely overboard, but - hey - it did the job.

It is a tool you will not use often. But - it is a tool that has no substitute, IMO, and will save you from burning your entire lexicon of cusswords on one task. Get something, at least.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I have an OK 8 foot level by Empire and 36 inch veritas. I use those two to make in between sizes from wood when I need them. I think any decent box level should be ok.

I have a 3' Aluminum Veritas.

Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-11-2015 at 6:47 AM. Reason: Removed Forum Link
    jack
    English machines

I made a few aluminum straight edges and a few squares at work on the cnc. They are probably just as straight as the Starret, but only aluminum. If I have the time again, I will make more out of steel and get them hardened.

I have a steel one I got from Amazon some years ago, was in the $270 range fro 36", accurate to way closer than I need for working wood, has been a great help in setting up machines and diagnosing issues with old/used machines, fences, tables, etc. Also have 36" and 48" starret rulers that while not technically sold as straight edges are in fact very straight and I often use them as such. It can be hard to justify an expensive straight edge, so i don't, I just use and enjoy it.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

If I had a fancy straightedge I would name it Excalibur...

Blog Entries
    I have the steel ones from Veritas. I have them in 1', 2' and 3'. I'm happy with them.

Lots of good choices out there. Good luck with it.

PHM

That MDF with three screws in it is another example of Jack's mechanical genius.

Why mill a piece of metal, when you can turn three little screws?

I have an 8' x 6" length of 3/4" lexan that is within .003" over the 8'. Measured on a certified grade A slab.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I have a 3' Aluminum Veritas.
    Me too. It does everything I ask of it.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I use a 10 ft length of steel drip edge and replace it every year or two - cheap, long and straight as the break it was bent on.

72" Starrett machine rule. It lost it's NIST certification in the 90's and was headed to the bin. I rescued it from the scrap heap.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have a 48" Veritas aluminum and have found it to be adequate for my needs. I have yet to encounter a woodworking machine whose tables were ground flat or stayed flat to within the tolerances of the Starrett's and such, so they seem like overkill to me. The only downside of the aluminum is that it is relatively fragile - easy to nick or dent the edge, producing a little nib that messes up the reference.