Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: name your straight edges!!

I have the taunton press shop machine book and for setting up the jointer, this is the recommended way to go. I'm pretty sure i am going to make these as well, but would like a straightedge in the traditional sense. Does anybody have any experience setting up a long bed jointer with these home made, master bars??
    Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post

Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-11-2015 at 6:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Duran View Post
    I have the taunton press shop machine book and for setting up the jointer, this is the recommended way to go. I'm pretty sure i am going to make these as well, but would like a straightedge in the traditional sense. Does anybody have any experience setting up a long bed jointer with these home made, master bars??
    i used them on all 4 planers i have

jack
    English machines

I have a straight edge that is 2" by 1/8" in cross section. It is great for layout work, but not so good for setting up a jointer. For that, you want a straight edge that can stand on edge.

I have a 36" Starrett but that being said, you can make a perfectly serviceable one by ripping a piece of MDF on a table saw.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    If I had a fancy straightedge I would name it Excalibur...

BOOM!!! goes the dynamite..............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

OK, I name mine Gallifrey..................Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    OK, I name mine Gallifrey..................Regards, Rod.

Gallifrey? Gallifrey Who?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I have a 72" Starrett which was a gift from a friend I did a big job with. It was good to about .002" as I received it. A few years ago I had it trued up and certified to less than .001" by an outfit in Ohio for about $300. Overkill? Maybe, but when I really want something dead nuts I know I can rely on it. The homemade three point units are great for overall setup, but for locating humps and dishes in the field of a machine table a continuous straightedge works better for me. Mine stays in a wooden box and comes out once or twice a year. Other than that I have a couple of 24" steel straightedges from Bridge City and Lee Valley. The Veritas I prefer for its thickness which allows it to stand stable on its edge.

Blog Entries
    36" steel Veritas here. No complaints at all.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I tried the wood with screw trick too, and as mentioned, you can't test within the inner portion of the tables. Plus, you need to locate the middle screw near your cutterhead, which is fine, but the area around my cutterhead has a little dip! Plus, as you rotate the device to check corner to corner the position of the middle screw can move to an undesirable spot. You can solve this by making two devices, or making your single device shorter, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

i used them on all 4 planers i have
    Umm. Isn't that a jointer?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Umm. Isn't that a jointer?

no its from England and that one is a PT or under over. they call what you mericans call a jointer a planer. what you call a planner they call a thicknessers. Though when you put wood through it it makes it thinner way back in the past the Americans called them Hand Planers too i believe. we are talking before Delta was making boy and girls toys.
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 03-10-2015 at 5:37 PM.
    jack
    English machines

I have the 2' steel and 4' alum from Veritas, very nice and serve their purposes well.

2 foot steel, 1.5 foot wooden shopmade, want to buy a 4 foot veritas aluminum one someday. But so far, I have had no need of it.
    For me, we are working with wood, a variable, cantankerous material. I don't get too worked up about perfection. But that is my temperament. I seem to be in a minority amongst woodworkers.
    Paul

no its from England and that one is a PT or under over. they call what you mericans call a jointer a planer. what you call a planner they call a thicknessers. Though when you put wood through it it makes it thinner way back in the past the Americans called them Hand Planers too i believe. we are talking before Delta was making boy and girls toys.
    That picture takes me back 40 years to the first time I had to run a board over a Delta 4" jointer. That's what it looked like to me. I was seriously scared it was going to grab me and turn my right hand into mulch.

I'm long past that, but I don't think I could hit the switch on that baby without taking a deep breath first.

Which is probably a good thing.

WOW.
    Last edited by Dave Zellers; 03-10-2015 at 9:17 PM.