Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why pay full price when you can pay double?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sidener View Post
    A lot of times those are bought by someone in a country with a VAT tax. buy it off of ebay and they save 15%.

That will probably go to a collector. A short cross cut tenon saw with finer teeth. I don't need one, but hey. Some people think they won the lottery, like this guy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1882-Duluth-...item1c3a4cd9c7
    WOW, just WOW!.............Anyway another market that has fallen victem to collectors fever is blacksmith tools..A decent anvil is outrageous on ebay now..Hammers like old champions may as well be gold plated..Dont get me wrong, if a feller' has the money and wants it bad enough he can have(no hard feelings on my part) it but too much of that and it gets hard for the users to purchase anything..I saw one seller that would routinely list a still made small swage block as vintage and antique..They about $140 new at two different places, he was selling them as collectors items for upwards of $300 for a while. if people only took maybe 30 minutes to research these large purchases it might save them a ton of cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    I love the Lie Nielson tools I have-Dovetail saw, chisels, and rabbiting block plane....

But I do not understand the cult around L-N tools.
    I don't understand the cult around a lot of tool manufacturers, buy holy moley, there are a lot of cult members on forums like this one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    I don't understand the cult around a lot of tool manufacturers, buy holy moley, there are a lot of cult members on forums like this one.
    I used to say that until I got my first LN plane. Then I saw the difference. I am not a "cult member," but I do contribute to their church frequently!

That said, I buy only for the sake of using them and not due to status or some perceived collectible value.

$48,000? For that? With the damage in the fourth photo, and the overall use and wear, I would go $40,000, tops.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Rettenmeier View Post
    $48,000? For that? With the damage in the fourth photo, and the overall use and wear, I would go $40,000, tops.
    Check his other items. He seems to believe his stuff is worth a lot.

image.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Check his other items. He seems to believe his stuff is worth a lot.
    Kind of like the guy selling pencils on the street. His sign said pencils, $1,000,000 each. Someone commented about his pencils might sell better if he had a lower price. His response was, "I only have to sell one."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I used to say that until I got my first LN plane. Then I saw the difference. I am not a "cult member," but I do contribute to their church frequently!

That said, I buy only for the sake of using them and not due to status or some perceived collectible value.
    The whole buy it to use it thing I understand deeply....