Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Needed... 10' 2x4s (preferably quartersawn)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Ive been looking for the blue wood for years, other than on TV where do you find it? Her in CT I've yet to see it in the local yards or bog boxes at all.
    The "blue wood" is lumber that has been treated with borates. The treatment itself is colorless, so they add a blue dye so it shows up visually.

Borates do not "fix" in the wood, so they can only be used for interior applications - if used outdoors, the rain will wash the chemicals out of the wood, making the treatment useless.

Borates are, generally, less expensive than standard PT lumber. It is very good at stopping the formosan termite, which is in gulf coast region. There, it is routinely used for the entire framing - walls, sheathing, etc. YOu need to treat the rest of the structure because formosan can bypass blockages and go to the fresh wood, unlike the normal termite, which is stopped by the sill plate.

So - the cost difference v standard adds up when you gotta do the whole house. You don't see it very much in other regions because of its limitations to indoors - from managing inventories, it is better for the retailers to stick to traditional PT, and sell the small amount of std PT for sill plates only - no requirement for treating beyond the sill plates outside formosan territory. It doesn't do anything the regular PT won't do, and it is more limited in what you can use it for - inside walls.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

There's an 84 Lumber over in Mt Airy and one in Randallstown.
    If you haven't been in an 84 Lumber in a few years, you might want to go see what they are like.

All of them around here (NE Ohio) closed up after losing the game of trying to go head to head with Lowes and Home Depot (and Carter Lumber).
    They just began to reopen a lot of their stores and they say they cater more to the professional than to the DIY'er.

I haven't had a chance to go in and see - they reopened late last Fall and I've had no reason to go there so far.

I know, I know - - 84 Lumber used to be the pits. If there was anything worse than a borg, 84 would have been a Super borg. They may have changed though.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    There's an 84 Lumber over in Mt Airy and one in Randallstown.
    Funny you should mention that. We actually went to the Mt. Airy one a couple of hours ago (after calling the Randallstown one). HD sells 2x4x10 for $4.22 around here, and we all know how much I enjoy thumbing through their awesome inventory. 84 Lumber said the Weyerhaeuser Framer Series lumber would be $4.40/stick. So, for a 4% price increase, I can get an entire hack (just shy of 300 sticks) of quality, guaranteed-free-of-warpage lumber delivered to my door. I think my decision has been made for me

Thanks for all of the help, fellas
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Ive been looking for the blue wood for years, other than on TV where do you find it? Her in CT I've yet to see it in the local yards or bog boxes at all.
    Peter

We have mountains of that fire treated/resistant "blue wood" at Millstone, but I don't think that just anybody can buy it, or that it can be installed in a living space in Connecticut,( neither can PT).
    It's also very expensive, especially the laminated beams and 4x8 sheets.
    I'll ask where they get it, if you're really looking to find some. The fire retardant paint we use would probably be cheaper though.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Metal studs is he way to go. you don't put backing from the floor but between the metal studs just short pieces.

84 Lumber said the Weyerhaeuser Framer Series lumber would be $4.40/stick. So, for a 4% price increase, I can get an entire hack (just shy of 300 sticks) of quality, guaranteed-free-of-warpage lumber delivered to my door.
    Excellent!
    That makes me want to drive over to 84 and check out what they have. I might be in the market for materials in a few weeks.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Thanks for all of the help, fellas
    Well, shoot. I didn't get to chime in.

But to reiterate the best advice:

Buy good stock (kinda the whole point of your post )
    Blocking. On 10 foot walls, consider two rows of blocking. It will help tie all the framing together and reduce individualism.
    Frame and block a wall before building the next wall. The less time the framed wall sits open the better. Even sheetrock will help inhibit studs from expressing themselves.

Dan, 18 gauge metal studs , no blocking necessary , use drill tip screws to fasten anything you want to hang on them . I install cabinetry and such in commercial structures often and would not hesitate to use them in home , dead straight and as far as rust , if you have that much moisture in the walls you have much bigger problems outside the walls ,