Thread: Grizzly G1018 Jointer price

Grizzly G1018 Jointer price

I am in the market for an 8" jointer and came across an older Grizzly G1018 on craigslist. The seller wants $550. It doesn't appear to have a mobile base, but comes with a new set of knives. The motor is only 1 1/2 HP where the new Grizzly jointers have 3 HP. Should I spend the $400 more for a new Grizzly with 3HP motor, mobile base and longer beds, or see if I can pick up this unit for $450-$500?

5pmzbs.jpg

I have a similar Bridgewood 8" jointer that I picked up last year for $500 with a mobile base. can't comment on whether you should spend more for new as I don't like spending other peoples money!

but the one you reference can run on 110 or 220 i'm pretty sure because mine is 1.5 hp and I got it wired for 110 from previous owner, so that's nice if you don't have or want to run 220 for the 3hp machines.

mobile bases can be had for $50-$75 which isn't that expensive so I wouldn't buy a new one just for that aspect.

also 1.5hp has been plenty for the wood I run though the thing, this might be a case where 3hp is overkill...but then again I'm sure many people will tell me I'm wrong there ha!

I would save the money and buy the used one but that is just me! that is as long as it's in good running order and nothing is broken or missing.

Brian

I had one of those for years and it worked great as is. I bought mine without a mobile base for $400 which was a good price and just sold it with a mobile base about three months ago for $500.

I'd say it's worth $500 for sure, you will be able to get that back out it in a year or two if you upgrade, or as in my case find a Delta DJ-20 for $400.

1 and 1/2 hp is plenty. I've face jointed many hardwoods on my 1 hp Reliant with no issue. Sounds like a pretty good deal.
    Don

I had a G1018. It was a great jointer. $550 is at the upper end, so it better be in really good condition. I sold mine to a friend for $400.
    1 1/2hp is enough.

Between this morning and you asking about it, and now, it's probably gone.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 03-11-2015 at 7:24 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I've never had a power issue even with a 1hp jointer...I'd think 1.5hp would be plenty. Plus, as others have pointed out, you don't need 220v for it. The G1018 is a well proven design....it was sold under many names including Grizzly, Jet, Bridgewood, Woodtek, GI, etc. $550 is a bit more than I'd want to pay....you're offer range sounded reasonable to me.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

You can find the older Delta and Powermatic 8" jointers for $600 to $800 on a regular basis, so $550 for an Asian clone seems high. If you have the patience, I would hold out for the old Powermatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Woloshyn View Post
    Should I spend the $400 more for a new Grizzly with 3HP motor, mobile base and longer beds, or see if I can pick up this unit for $450-$500?
    The only thing in your list that would be of concern to me is longer beds. When I went from a 6" to an 8" jointer the extra width didn't make a big difference to me, the extra bed length made a huge difference though! How much longer are the beds on the new jointer? An inch or two of extra length I wouldn't sweat. 6" longer beds would be worth the extra price in my opinion.