Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birch Ply vs MDF

Birch Ply vs MDF

I plan to make 2 of the swivel (flip) top cabinets for 4 of the benchtop tools in the shop. I have gathered a few sets of plans and was reviewing them before purchasing the materials list.

Still being on the newbie side, I figured I better check with the experts so as not to mess this project up.

My question is: In making the cabinet carcass would it be advisable to use MDF or Birch Ply? I am most familiar with the birch ply from my workbench and router table cabinet, but I have never used or even layed hands on MDF before. Being that these 2 flip top cabinets are going to be supporting considerable weight, would the MDF hold up or should I stay with the birch ply that has treated me well thus far?

Thanks as always for you help and input.

Bob...I would certainly stick to the plywood. My first reason is ease of handling, the plywood will wieght about half of that of mdf. Don't know about you, but I no longer get a joy out of handling 80 lb. 4X8 sheets around. My second reason is that the plywood is going to be much stronger. Third reason is that the plywood will take a very nice finish, even if you desire to leave it clear.

Doug

I agree with Doug. If I was building your project, I would go to HD and pick up the 29.97 a sheet Birch Maple ply.

Corey

Bob, I would also go with the plywood. BUT, if you go to HD, be careful I bought a sheet of their $29 3/4 birch ply and although it looked good in the store, it was warped Most of it was usable, but it made terrible shelves

Today I found a lumber yard up the road that stocks hardwood ply A sheet of AA birch is around $55. It is not quite up to cabinet grade as it has a few voids in the interior plys. But heck, if you are going to trim the edges, who cares
    Best Regards, Ken

Thanks guys.... I kind of figured that would be the answers I got. Corey.... $30 for birch ply at HD? Whoa.... Try $50+ around my neck of the woods OUCH!

That is the reason I was looking at the MDF

Since you'll be handling it a lot...

Since it'll be handled a lot (not just storage cabinets) I'd say the birch ply. I found some "Russian" ply at my local (soon-to-be-out-of-business-because-Lowes-moved-in) hardware store. The Russian ply has more plys. It's very stable, flat, and smooth. Not TOTALLY void-free, but very acceptable.

If you want a show-pony piece, try to find some of that stuff, but don't use MDF, 'cause it'll chip too easily, and your show pony will look more like a pack mule.

Jeff Smith
    Athens, AL
    Athens, AL

Well, once again, I went counter culture - I used MDF.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11844

It has held up well - and with the chamfers, I haven't had any chipping problems.

Wes

Why does it have to be Birch plywood? A good quality fir would do just fine. We have a product called Satinply here that goes for $36 - $39 a sheet. If you can get Birch for $30 it would be fine but if it cost more than fir I wouldn't not for shop furniture.

This cabinet was made of Satinply with an alder face frame. The back is 1/2 CDX. It will be stained a medium brown color as seen here.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14597

The rest of the cabinets were made of the same material.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Wes,

Nice looking flip top cabinet. I remember your post on it from a while back and think it is what inspired me although I forgot that you did yours with MDF. I like the steel gray color and the way you did your wheels. I may bug you when I get to the mobile point on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Bischel
    Well, once again, I went counter culture - I used MDF.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11844

It has held up well - and with the chamfers, I haven't had any chipping problems.

Wes

Bart,

Thanks for tipping me on the sand ply. I remember seeing it now in the borg and may be a good cost compromise and does retain some wood look character.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    I agree with Doug. If I was building your project, I would go to HD and pick up the 29.97 a sheet Birch Maple ply.

Corey
    Hey Corey! In which store are you finding the $29.97 birch plywood?

The HD here is $10 more so I asked about the apparent plywood glut in Council Bluffs, IA. They said they would match the price, if true (and because I'm planning to purchase a bunch.).

They called the Council Bluffs store and were told $39.99.

-Kevin
    "He who dies with the most toys is none the less dead."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Post
    Hey Corey! In which store are you finding the $29.97 birch plywood?

The HD here is $10 more so I asked about the apparent plywood glut in Council Bluffs, IA. They said they would match the price, if true (and because I'm planning to purchase a bunch.).

They called the Council Bluffs store and were told $39.99.

-Kevin
    Kevin - I bought some of of the $29.97 Birch ply at the HD in Waterloo, Iowa. It was about 6 months ago. I don't know if they still stock it. Dave

Ply for sure. MDF gets dern heavy. Made me think of this. I had discovery home on and as I was walking thru the living room I saw this guy showing a storage space made for kids and it WAS HUGE. All 3/4 MDF ! That thing had to weigh a TON !

That might explain the price difference??

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bonde
    Kevin - I bought some of of the $29.97 Birch ply at the HD in Waterloo, Iowa. It was about 6 months ago. I don't know if they still stock it. Dave
    Seems like Ply, OS Board, any building materials etc goes way up in price around here everytime they threaten a hurricane along the coasts.
    Guess it makes sense to re-route the material to where it`s needed and that cuts supply in this area, therefore demand drives prices up.

Lowes in Altoona had Birch @ 34.95 & Oak face at 39.95 last weekend.
    I bought some MDF last weekend, but thought for $5.00 diff over birch, oak was not that high.
    Last edited by Jim Dannels; 08-02-2005 at 5:13 PM.

Bob,

To add to the previous opinions and comments.

I built a JoinTech Router center out of MDF about 10 years ago. I assembled it with dado's and used screws for clamps when I glued it up. Plenty strong, and it ate a 3/4" DeWalt mortising bit that I used for the dados, it’s tough on cutting tools, which adds to its overall project cost. To deal with the weight, I had HD cut the panel down to the 24" x 48" sections that made my project work, and carried them in one by one.

I have since built cabinet out of Birch ply and it is easier to handle for sure, but more expensive too.

In a vanity I built, the sides and bottom were Ply and the mid upright divider was made of MDF.

Ply makes better horizontal pieces and MDF is very strong in the vertical and paints well if you the precautions to avoid splits when screwing it together.

I could be tempted to build a flip top out of pre-cut MDF and dado, glue and screw it together for strength and weight and it's anti vibration dampening qualities, and then make the flip top out of 2 pieces of Ply laminated together.

My router center has done well by me, looks good with its coat of bronze colored paint from the oop’s bin and its walnut edge facings. But if money was never a consideration, birch ply all the way.