Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Feed Roller Marks on Wood with Grizzly G0453P

I have this planer too and have the same marks at times. Mostly on soft woods and when I take a very light cut. Even though it bothers me I haven't messed with it yet since it takes no time to knock the marks down by sanding.

Mike

This is the reason why I got rid of the two Asian planers I had, one no name the other a Powermatic. No matter what, those marks drove me crazy. I could not get rid of them no matter what I did. There is no reason why the outfeed rollers need fine serrations.

What did you replace them with?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Satur View Post
    This is the reason why I got rid of the two Asian planers I had, one no name the other a Powermatic. No matter what, those marks drove me crazy. I could not get rid of them no matter what I did. There is no reason why the outfeed rollers need fine serrations.
    I also might just find a smooth solid steel outfeed roller feom a Jet or Powermatic assuming these are like for like parts but canr confirm because Grizzly is China and the rest are Taiwanese...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John C Bush View Post
    Hi Glenn, I built a sled for a dial indicator, as shown on the Robert Vaughaun video, and I like the looks of your 1-2-3 block better. Not seen one before. Where can I find one. Thanks, John
    Grizzly has a good price on a pair for around $15-$20 IIRC. Other machine-shop supply outfits will have them. Lee Valley includes on in their setup block kit (which I have) but, I find the short bars only marginally useful and so would go with Griz.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've got the same setup as the OP. I adjusted the rollers and now only get the marks when making a very light cut. I guess I'd prefer no marks ever, but sanding them off really isn't a big deal.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

FWIW I have the Z and get no marks at all with the factory settings on everything. I wish there was less snipe, but no roller marks. Someday I will try to reduce the snipe, but for the time being I make the last bit of reduction using a drum sander. That would probably get rid of roller marks too. No?

I found a Rockwell 18" wedge bed planer for $1000. I Love it

For those in the know of 15" 4 post planers, do replacing the rollers from other machines constitute a "like for like" change? Or is there modifiations I would need to do? Its hard to tell from various part diagrams...

From what I know, the delta rubber rollers from the Delta were a direct fit on the Jet. The Delta rollers were slightly shorter then my Grizzly rollers so I had to use some spacers. I would guess that a Jet roller would work(with some spacers) on a Grizzly. I would guess Jet and Powermatic would be the same since they are the same company.