Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions On What To Turn From 3-1/2" Square Blanks

Suggestions On What To Turn From 3-1/2" Square Blanks

I'm a fairly new turner. Have turned pens, few bowls, tool handles, a pepper mill, and some other spindle work.

I came across a good deal on 3-1/2" square x 8' long ash boards (actually prepped for bat blanks). I may have bought too many of them - 8 . This is really clean wood that was kiln dried and stored in a barn for many years so should be plenty dry (guess I could use some for flat wook too). I know it is a good size for more pepper mills (about 64 of them ) but are there other projects I could try to tackle with this wood? Or maybe suggested books that show different turnings? (I do have a Carter hollower that is screaming to be used too)

(edited: I'm pretty sure Peter Fabricius will help me out with a set of goblets)

Thanks,

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Goetzke; 03-12-2015 at 9:26 AM.

Blog Entries
    Salt/pepper shakers come to mind...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Hi Mike,
    You are right a few Goblets are definitely in your future. Do you have the tutorial for making them?
    That size blank is also good for Hollow Forms, turned end grain. Put a chunk about 6" long directly into your chuck, drill a 1" hole and shape the outside to a pleasing shape (golden mean comes to mind) then hollow it out.
    Have lots of fun with a great stack of wood.
    Peter F.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like to make hollow spheres on stands from wood about that size.
    Here's an example but please pardon the picture. For lots of reasons I no longer have a photo booth.
    IMG_0570.jpg
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I agree with Peter Fabricius - Goblets. I have turned a few from Ash and it works well. Maple bat blanks are a favorite source for goblet blanks, but I bought one Ash blank too. That is also a good size for boxes and dry end-grain is the favored orientation for stability.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Actually, ask blanks like these are totally useless for turning. You better send them to me and I'll use them for "fenceposts". Better throw that Carter thing in the box for ballast while you are at it. I'll put an end to that screaming. Actually, I think you could make some vases or weed pots with a 3.5" blank, but since you have the carter system (drool drool) I would skip the weed pots and do hollow vases. If you have never hollowed, try something like a pencil cup or goblet first. The wide mouth is easier to get a feel for the tool, then move to something with a smaller hole. Good luck, and if you decide you need to dispose of all that "junk", you know where I am.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

They could be ripped on a bandsaw to 1-5/8" +- and would make great spindle blanks for stool legs, stair balusters or used whole for attitude adjustment tools (aka mallets).

I think it's a waste to break them up. If they were prepped for bat blanks, they're probably nice and straight grained. You should save them for an application that can benefit from the structural premium of this stuff.

If it were me, I'd use them for stool or chair or table legs.

I have a bunch of maple baseball blanks. Mainly for rolling pins, but I wouldn't consider ash to be that good for them because of the open grain. Lots of smaller lidded boxes with long tenons (1/2 inch or so) and a barely loose fit so you get a slow lift off but not the 'pop' of a tighter fit because at that diameter, they will move. I also made a lot of 3 inch diameter spinning tops with 1/4 inch stems. You have to spin them by placing the stem between your palms rather than finger spins. Can spin for a couple of minutes. You could do a bat or two also. Smaller hollow forms and vases come to mind also. Cube turned on a bias.

robo hippy

Coffee mugs, get the stainless steer liners from craft supply.

A tri-cornered HF or bowl comes to mind. Cut you a perfect cube and chuck it up between centers on two points. When you round it up leave the 3 points sharp. This is on my list of things to try, just haven't done it yet.

here's a crazy idea:

Why not turn a couple of bats while you're at it? Pick up a couple of construction 4x4's for some practice, and then knock out a bat or three? Another project that would be good is some lamps. You could make a matched pair, one a floor lamp the other a table lamp. At 8' long, you could theoretically do a turned pencil post canopy bed, or go smaller and do a turned post bed. (Dependent, of course, on the length of your lathe and/or your creativity to accomplish same using other methods.)

Regardless, I wouldn't be in a hurry to find some use for those.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

+1 for table legs. that size would work well for pedestal legs

I agree with Brian, send them to him and then he could send a couple to me to see if I can figure it out.

I mallet or two is always useful. Tool handles are too, but I'd rip the blank down closer to size before turning.