Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shaper

Shaper

Can anyone tell me about a beach shaper it is 2 h 3ph model number 300a biggest question is ,have any trouble putting a 5 h Single ph Motor on it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Guessing that the reason going from a 3hp to a 5hp is because its what you have on hand.If not I don't see a benefit with the extra hp,unless you have a 1 1/4 spindle but then a 5hp still is not needed.Anyway the shaft may be a different size,so the pulley will need to be change.Either way that is one HD looking shaper,very nice

Carroll it's a two horse now five horse works much better for shaping 3/4" panels but yes 3 hp would work
    Thanks John

not sure what the bearings are in the quill but i think that model is a light duty(3 hp max). 5 ponies and pushing it my do them bearings and spindle a disservice. is it an 1 1/4 spindle? secondly this machine would really benefit from a VFD giving you For and reverse plus speed control.
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 03-13-2015 at 5:33 PM.
    jack
    English machines

I don't know anything about that shaper, but have you seen the motor mounts? That should give you a better idea of what your dealing with. OWWM might be a good source for info. Do you know spindle size? If less than 1" I wouldn't bother putting 5 hP behind it. I used to raise 3/4" panels just fine one pass on a 3HP delta. Its possible its an older 2HP, which I've heard older electricians refer to as a "true 2" meaning its about the equivalent of a 3HP in todays over rated terms. My dewalt RAS from the 1940's is a "2HP" by name plate, but it draws close to 17A 220 which is similar to most 3HP motors today, and it cuts everything. My dad used to love to tell the guy at the pizzeria "Im really hungry today so can you cut my pizza into 10 slices instead of 8?" Well, a 16" pizza is the same amount of food no matter how many slices you cut, and 1A does the same amount of work roughly no matter what the marketing department likes to put on the tag. So If you are buying this thing, look at the amp draw, and maybe run some wood through it before retrofitting, that old motor may surprise you.....or it may make smoke and go boom, always a gamble
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Peter love your sense of humor theGuy wants to give me thatPlus some cash for a panel router old panel routerit won't cost me much pocket money
    Thanks John

Jack thanks with the size of the table I thought maybe 5 hp would be good I have a 5 hp PM I could live without it being 5 hp
    Thanks John

Quote Originally Posted by John A langley View Post
    Jack thanks with the size of the table I thought maybe 5 hp would be good I have a 5 hp PM I could live without it being 5 hp
    the 27 is powermatics heavy duty can be had with a larger spindle still got 6200 bearing in it. when i say big bearing and spindle i am taking ABEC 7 oil lube like this one in my hand. I do believe that Moak did make a model with this type bearing but i am sure its larger than that one. I think the older Martin use this bearing as well but Dave or Joe would know. for induction motors HP is HP and its got a lot to do with motor power factor rating and the number of polls (rpm) to compare amp draw. 3 phase motors of the same hp and voltage draw less amp than there single phase capacitor start motors. think of them as the topping pete. Its the brush type motors (routers)that there overrating the HP on .
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 03-13-2015 at 6:03 PM.
    jack
    English machines

5hp is about the minimum needed to for panel raising. If you've already got a 5hp shaper, I'd do like Peter recommends and just try it out first and save the heavy hogging for the higher power machine.

Holy cows! That's a bearing!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    5hp is about the minimum needed to for panel raising. If you've already got a 5hp shaper, I'd do like Peter recommends and just try it out first and save the heavy hogging for the higher power machine.

Holy cows! That's a bearing!
    if your running HSS you don't need 5 hp in fact the one with the bearing is only 4 hp and it has 9" under the nut. if your spinning large disks you need more hp but than you better have the bearings. I read a lot of guys are running to large and are going through bearings like there no tomorrow.

Whats the table opening on that machine?
    jack
    English machines

Jack I have no idea I haven't looked into it that close thanks for the response
    Thanks John

I especially agree with the high speed comment ,and if you can use two steel knives ,instead of three , that helps too. It doesn't get mentioned enough that tooling should never have any UN NEEDED spacers underneath since that adds stress.

I use a three wing, carbide insert head. I don't remember the diameter, but it's pretty good sized. Doing a climb cut, full pass, my Model 27 groans pretty well. I should slow it down too, I'm running it at too high of an rpm. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it bogging down the shaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I use a three wing, carbide insert head. I don't remember the diameter, but it's pretty good sized. Doing a climb cut, full pass, my Model 27 groans pretty well. I should slow it down too, I'm running it at too high of an rpm. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it bogging down the shaper.

They only had two speeds as delivered, are you running a panel raiser at 10K? I've raised a lot of panels on a 27 and never hears one groan.

Jack, I know there is a formula to derive HP, and some motors are more efficient than others, but I see some chiwan tools calling themselves 3HP and drawing 12A 220V single phase.....??? Do they have a secret formula?
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

yep. 10k. It won't complain doing a normal cut, but doing a climb cut seems to work it harder for some reason.