Thread: Jones & Orth shaper Corrugated Knife Head

Jones & Orth shaper Corrugated Knife Head

image.jpg image.jpg
    I picked up this four knife head. It is a Jones and Orth that takes corrugated knives.
    are these good heads? Is it up to date safety wise? Are knife corrugations standard?
    thanks guys.
    Jonathan

Looks ok, but dirty from here. Clean it real good, especially around the bore where the spacers will clamp it. Typically you only use 2 opposing slots, unless you are feeding really,really fast. Some heads use different hook angles on the pairs of opposing slots- you should check. Higher hook on softwoods, less on hardwood. As far as corrugations go, 60 degree are today's standard, but there were some 90 degree heads out there- don't know who made them.

i would have to agree with Peter. if the rake is the same in all 4 slots and it is not a hard wood soft wood head i have seen them used for slots sizing by blending knifes in the 4 slots like T&G knifes or inside corners of a profile that needs to be crisp. coragation 60 dregs same as threads
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 03-16-2015 at 8:32 PM.
    jack
    English machines

Thanks guys,
    One more question if I may. The head is 2" thick. Blades should not extend beyond the top or bottom of the head, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Spool View Post
    Thanks guys,
    One more question if I may. The head is 2" thick. Blades should not extend beyond the top or bottom of the head, right?
    Yes, and no. Technically, the knives shouldn't extend past. Realistically, I have run more than a few heads with offset projection to one end, or the other, or both- the key is to be smart about it. I will rarely run knives that project more than double the knife thickness past the end. Look at what you are trying to remove per pass, and at a given feed rate- in other words - experience. If in doubt, don't .

you are able to go wider than then the head by the amounts Peter states given knife thickness(measured at the rout thickness). what this is good for is clearing the cuter block with deeper cuts like large coves. the knife does not have to project as far from the head as some of the profile is on top the head. Think panel raiser.
    jack
    English machines

Agree with Peter,
    It pays to have a larger height corrigated head. You can run smaller height knives in these with fillers. When the knives project they are a little harder to set. We have a small setting stand to help with this. If you outsource the grinding most tool grinders will make the knives axial constant so you can just set one end the same for both knives and they will line up. So if the knives are less in height than the head you can just set the head on a flat surface to set the knives.

Corrigated head.jpg

I don't have a special fixture but I did have a table ring made with a 1 1/2" hole so I can use the spindle on the shaper to set height. My guy is good about sharpening them and keeping them consistent or this would not work so well. I put them in the head loose and adjust the spindle up and down till I get it where I want it and tighten them up. Rube Goldberg setup but it works.

I'm just a hobbyist and have little experience to no experience in running corrugated shaper heads like this, so factor that into what I have to say. I use a shaper(old Delta 1.5 hp) and router table and the only time I had kick back with the shaper was running a non chip limiting aka non anti-kick back old 3 wing cutter. I was hand feeding and the board flew across the room. I was lucky. I had no idea why it happened but now know better.

I took for granted the newer design of chip limiting or non kick back cutters that is incorporated into most router bits, and brazed tip shaper heads. The metal body profile has the same cutting profile as the knife edge, but a few millimeters smaller radius. chip size is limited and the cut takes less "bite". Less bite, less grab, less kickback, and more control. Each profile on your head has to protrude atleast it's profile depth, without the chip limiting feature. Potentially bigger bite and more kickback. I wouldn't be surprised to see in the fine print that these should not be run hand fed.
    At least be aware of the dangers.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by john Intosa View Post
    I'm just a hobbyist and have little experience to no experience in running corrugated shaper heads like this, so factor that into what I have to say. I use a shaper(old Delta 1.5 hp) and router table and the only time I had kick back with the shaper was running a non chip limiting aka non anti-kick back old 3 wing cutter. I was hand feeding and the board flew across the room. I was lucky. I had no idea why it happened but now know better.

I took for granted the newer design of chip limiting or non kick back cutters that is incorporated into most router bits, and brazed tip shaper heads. The metal body profile has the same cutting profile as the knife edge, but a few millimeters smaller radius. chip size is limited and the cut takes less "bite". Less bite, less grab, less kickback, and more control. Each profile on your head has to protrude atleast it's profile depth, without the chip limiting feature. Potentially bigger bite and more kickback. I wouldn't be surprised to see in the fine print that these should not be run hand fed.
    At least be aware of the dangers.
    John
    WhiteHill makes chip limiting corrugated heads. If you can't set up a knife from the grinding house in a corrugated heads on the spindle moulder with out a dial in 10 min than stick to drop on tolling. if you grind your own its a bit different but what shaper man don't have a dial. I like the pin heads for speed and i like collars for adjusting knife projection but about the easiest is a french head to set a in house grind as you don't need any thing .

http://www.whitehill-tools.com/catal...?cid=2&c2id=22
    jack
    English machines

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I don't have a special fixture but I did have a table ring made with a 1 1/2" hole so I can use the spindle on the shaper to set height. My guy is good about sharpening them and keeping them consistent or this would not work so well. I put them in the head loose and adjust the spindle up and down till I get it where I want it and tighten them up. Rube Goldberg setup but it works.
    Larry,
    That"s a great idea! I have small table rings and will try that next time I set corrigated.
    Joe