Thread: Shop tour - what else do I need?

Shop tour - what else do I need?

I'm a woodturner primarily, looking to get into some more flatwork and such. I shot a quick video on my youtube channel with a shop tour, since I just got set up in the garage of my new house.

What's the next tool I should be shopping for that I don't have room for but will cram in there anyway? Other comments on organization, efficiency, safety, whatever?

https://youtu.be/SWqHjuYr4wM

Assembly table.
    Variety of clamps
    Lumber and scrap storage.
    Track saw for cutting large sheets of plywood so you don't have to try to manhandle full sheets in a small area.
    fold away outfeed table for you table saw.

Have fun. One of the best parts of woodworking is finding new tools and evolving as your experience with new things grows.

Save your money. Then, when the next project comes along, and you find that another tool will be handy, get the tool then. What I didn't see is any hand tools. A good block plane, a set of bench chisels, sharpening goodness, and a mallet. Beyond that, hold off and get what you need when you need it. (btw, if you stick firmly to this concept, it's a lot easier to sell the "oh, I need this tool" because you'll appear to only be buying them when you need them. Don't let on that sometimes you pick a project because it can justify a new tool.)

Floor mats. Standing on concrete gets old.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Looks like some shop furniture is in your future -- should be fun.

I know it is common, but I don't like to have my table saw in the center of the shop.

How often do you work with the garage door open?
    If this is possible, I'd recommend putting the table saw closer to the garage door. I prefer to have it placed to accomodate the majority of my cuts, with the idea that I can open the garage door if I need to do long rips (you will need some outfeed support--I use a flip-top stand from Home Depot) or pull it out for clearance to do wide cuts. Flip-up outfeed table is a nice idea if you'll be doing much long rips.

Make a table saw sled. Best thing ever for crosscuts on workpieces. (I use my miter saw mostly for construction or miterered work)

Also, recommend hanging a sheet over any open shelving. Helps to keep the dust off.

Not sure what flat work you are interested in doing. I don't see a jointer or planer, so you'll be constrained to using S4S lumber in standard thicknesses.

Matt

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing. This is why I come to this corner of SMC- to see what others are doing. I was recently in the states and went to Lowe's and saw all those lovely Porter Cable tools you have available-count your blessings!

Personally, I would get a thickness planer and jointer. Once you start dimensioning your own lumber you will find lots of new sources for wood outside the S4S stuff. My Ridgid thickness planer was one of the best things I ever purchased, and I abuse it with all sorts of hard figured tropical woods. It has never had a problem, and leaves a very smooth finish. If you get a jointer, go big. I bought a benchtop jointer, and it now is a weight to hold the bench down. I'm not kidding- I keep it on the bottom shelf of my handwork bench and it keeps the bench from moving when I hand plane. I do all my jointing by hand. If I had the room you have I would probably get an 8" or wider long-bed jointer.

Some Christmas ornaments hanging from the ceiling would be nice.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Some Christmas ornaments hanging from the ceiling would be nice.
    Hah, well, if you consider that I do have a shelf mounted on the ceiling there that has all the bins with Christmas decorations in it, I guess in a way I do have ornaments hanging from the ceiling!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Paxman View Post
    Hah, well, if you consider that I do have a shelf mounted on the ceiling there that has all the bins with Christmas decorations in it, I guess in a way I do have ornaments hanging from the ceiling!
    Steve - for a lousy six bucks, you can be a Contributor, and gain access to the Lumber Yard forum. This topic is being discussed there - with the talent bringing their wit to bear like a phaser trained on a BORG.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.