Thread: Grizzly G0661 table saw insert...

Grizzly G0661 table saw insert...

My "Zero clearance" insert is cracked. It is the one that came with the saw. I'm not terribly thrilled with the design of the insert as it is...and I SURE don't want to pay $30 for another one.

I'm thinking about making one. However, I want to still be able to use my riving knife. I would (obviously) have to cut a slot out for it, but then that would make the backside of the insert pretty vulnerable to breaking, methinks.

Should I just suck it up and get the factory one?

ugh...

(BTW...the saw is WAY out of warranty.)
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

I made mine out of some MDF. I just traced the factory one on some MDF and cut it out then fine tuned it on the sander. I haven't had an issue with the insert breaking because of the riving knife cut out. The factory zero clearance insert that came with my saw is pretty beefy.

Red
    RED

I find that either building it out of plywood, or adding a cross grain strip provides the needed strength to resist cracking. Here's an example of adding in that cross grain strip:

http://woodgears.ca/delta_saw/insert.html

I made one for G1023RL out of a phenolic kit I got at Rockler. I cut the slot for the riving knife. It is pretty thin behind the riving knife but I never had an issue. I also have some corion I want to try.