Thread: Indexing to make a sawtooth pattern

Indexing to make a sawtooth pattern

Hi all.

My granddaughter (11 yrs old) makes paper fans out of craft paper or double-layered gift wrap and a round clothespin with winding on it to sell at church bazaars or local flea markets. This requires she make alternating folds every 3/4" or so across a paper about 18" wide. It takes her quite long for a product that ends up selling for only about $1.75. Plus, the folds are inconsistent and sometimes not as straight as they should be. I'd like to make her a "press", for lack of a better term, to fold the paper for her.

What I'm picturing is matching boards with interlocking "sawtooth" v-grooves. She would lay the paper square on one, then slowly press the other onto it. This would create the necessary alternating folds at regular distances apart, making a much neater product much quicker. I would hinge one end so that the paper would be engaged in such a way to allow it to slide as the "teeth" press together.

But... how do I make regularly-indexed v-grooves across the boards? It's just a series of dadoes with a v-groove bit at a depth which establishes the 3/4" spacing. But, how do I get them equally spaced? I'm struggling with this, so any help is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Tom Hammond; 03-17-2015 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hammond View Post

What I'm picturing is matching boards with interlocking "sawtooth" v-grooves. She would lay the paper square on one, then slowly press the other onto it. This would create the necessary alternating folds at regular distances apart, making a much neater product much quicker. I would hinge one end so that the paper would be engaged in such a way to allow it to slide as the "teeth" press together.
    I can't see that working without tearing the paper,maybe just a board with the grooves then seperate long wedge/triangle pieces that can be pressed in one at a time starting at the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bomment View Post
    I can't see that working without tearing the paper,maybe just a board with the grooves then seperate long wedge/triangle pieces that can be pressed in one at a time starting at the middle.
    I agree its a concern. I was thinking about making the top piece like the tambour from a rolltop desk... and "rolling" it onto the paper to allow each groove to engage individually... one at a time across the paper.

Well,
    It's one of those days that I'm not into getting started on what I'm suppose to do ( a little sock display for a store)
    so I made a really quick and dirty mock up with triangles I cut @ 22.5 degrees and tacked to a board.
    Seems to work,started the fold down with my finger then slide the top triangle back and forth one at a time into the vee.
    Messed with the spline tool,kinda worked but not the greatest.
    I think this proves it will work,just needs some tweaking.

I would consider making your jig circular instead of flat. As in two interlocking cogs with a crank on one of the cogs. Just start the paper straight then crank it through the jig like an old laundry wringer. If you don't have a lathe pick up a couple old wood rolling pins from goodwill. Use a router with a jg to make the groves in the wood.
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 03-17-2015 at 6:40 PM.

if these become factory made they will have be much cheaper too. you just can't replace the craftsmanship and love that goes into each one with a tool.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bomment View Post
    Well,
    It's one of those days that I'm not into getting started on what I'm suppose to do ( a little sock display for a store)
    so I made a really quick and dirty mock up with triangles I cut @ 22.5 degrees and tacked to a board.
    Seems to work,started the fold down with my finger then slide the top triangle back and forth one at a time into the vee.
    Messed with the spline tool,kinda worked but not the greatest.
    I think this proves it will work,just needs some tweaking
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schuch View Post
    I would consider making your jig circular instead of flat. As in two interlocking cogs with a crank on one of the cogs. Just start the paper straight then crank it through the jig like an old laundry wringer. If you don't have a lathe pick up a couple old wood rolling pins from goodwill. Use a router with a jig to make the groves in the wood.
    WOW... guys... thanks! John, above and beyond on the mock-up and posting the pictures that shows this can work! I had not even started my first attempt at the 'rack' yet. Mike, what a great idea... and one that I think is a winner!

Thanks again, guys!! Great input for a rather simple project. I know Hailey will be really excited that she has a "workstation" of her own for doing these. I've already got her 9-year old brother making wooden snowflakes, and she's been a little jealous that he had a craft-making jig setup and she didn't... so this will be a peacemaker, too!!! I also really appreciate that folks on this forum take projects like these projects seriously. Some might think this is 'silly' or the like... but I'm using these projects to get the kids in the habit of making a product, addressing issues like revenue and cost and making a profit, and introducing them to basic woodworking as well. Thanks for your great input and helping push this forward!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hammond View Post
    WOW... guys... thanks! John, above and beyond on the mock-up and posting the pictures that shows this can work! I had not even started my first attempt at the 'rack' yet. Mike, what a great idea... and one that I think is a winner!

Thanks again, guys!! Great input for a rather simple project. I know Hailey will be really excited that she has a "workstation" of her own for doing these. I've already got her 9-year old brother making wooden snowflakes, and she's been a little jealous that he had a craft-making jig setup and she didn't... so this will be a peacemaker, too!!! I also really appreciate that folks on this forum take projects like these projects seriously. Some might think this is 'silly' or the like... but I'm using these projects to get the kids in the habit of making a product, addressing issues like revenue and cost and making a profit, and introducing them to basic woodworking as well. Thanks for your great input and helping push this forward!
    I was thinking she was making some sort of semicircular fans. Then you will need to modify the idea to include tapered and expanding mating grooves which will be a bit more difficult

I was playing darts at my friends house last night.
    His wife is big into scrapbooking, she has a tool Mike described but it's not that big, called a fiskar paper crimper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUAFXc-c1TA

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I was thinking she was making some sort of semicircular fans. Then you will need to modify the idea to include tapered and expanding mating grooves which will be a bit more difficult
    I think I didn't give a full explanation. After doing the folding, she glue-sticks an inch or so on one edge across the folds, gathers the folds together and puts a clip on it to dry. A few minutes later, she takes a one-piece slotted clothespin and glues the gathered end in it to make a handle. She wraps a nylon string around the pin, tucking in the ends under the last few wraps (I have no idea where she learned to do that) to cover the glued-up-paper-and-slot and then pulls the exposed paper open to make a fan... I guess it looks like it's a little less than a semicircle when it's done. So, if she has a 8-1/2" paper, probably 7" or some less is sticking out of the handle. She says it has to be about 18" wide to look right.

I looked at the commercial paper crimpers, and I think those are along the lines of what would work here. I think I'm going to have to do some math on the angles, and make a couple rollers. I guess I'm not surprised the discussion led here... seems like everything that can be dreamed up has some version already in existence.

Just make something like a waffle iron. Put the paper in, close the cover, and open it. What could be easier?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night