Thread: Snipes Bill Plane

Snipes Bill Plane

I've looked for a couple of years for a pair of vintage Snipes Bill planes with no joy, couldn't even find a trashed pair. A couple of weeks ago I emailed Matt Bickford msbickford.com requesting he put my name on the waiting list for a pair fully expecting a 9 month to a year wait. He replied shortly after that today was my lucky day, he was just finishing a run and had a pair with my name on 'em if I wanted them now.

The UPS girl showed up today with a couple of packages, one was from Matt with the Snipes Bill planes and the other was Larry Williams' video "Making Traditional Side Escapement Planes". In my haste to open the boxes I plumb forgot to take a photo of the UPS girl, but I did get one of the Snipes Bill's.

Of course I had to play with 'em as soon as they were out of the box. They are beautifully made and work like a champ. I was playing with the depth of cut before the photo was made and the last cut was a little heavy but they are very easy to adjust either way.

ken

Last edited by ken hatch; 03-17-2015 at 7:28 PM.

Snipes are difficult to find in good usable condition, let alone still in pairs. They almost always need repair to the boxing or trueing up from being warped. Then there is the price they command, you'll likely pay $2-300 for a "user" set. Yes, all things that can be dealt with or could be made from scratch. I made do for several years on an old and tired set, last year I finally broke down and went to Matt, happy I did.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

I "need" a set as well. Like you two, am getting tired of trying to find a good used set for reasonable money. Good to see great reviews on Matt's.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I "need" a set as well. Like you two, am getting tired of trying to find a good used set for reasonable money. Good to see great reviews on Matt's.
    Bite the bullet, and get on the list. I wish I had done it earlier. They are beautifully made and work well right out of the box. Another option is Philly Planes but his turn time has been very long on the last couple of planes I ordered....worth the wait but.

ken

Blog Entries
    It is enough to give a man plane envy.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It is enough to give a man plane envy.

jtk
    Thanks Jim,

The photo doesn't do them justice, they are beautifully made. I expect they will see a good amount of use as I've almost finished rehabbing the 1/2 set of hollows and rounds that have been in the queue for awhile.

ken

I you can neither afford new ones, nor the common prices good ones go for on ebay, keep looking at molding planes. The ones I ended up with went cheap only because the seller didn't call them the right name. There was no mention of "snipes" or "bill" in the ads and no one else even bid on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I you can neither afford new ones, nor the common prices good ones go for on ebay, keep looking at molding planes. The ones I ended up with went cheap only because the seller didn't call them the right name. There was no mention of "snipes" or "bill" in the ads and no one else even bid on them.
    I've wondered if lost of rich eBayers know the buzz words but don't recognize the item when the see it without the buzz words. ?? I don't much likeauctions, because there are so many bidders with deep pockets.

I just went back and checked my buy list in 2013. I bought one for 8.95 plus 16.22 shipping from the UK, and the other for 17.22 plus 6.13 shipping from Washington state. Neither had the words in the ads. I have best luck with any kind of molding plane coming from the UK. Most of the ones here look like they've spent a hundred years or more in a barn.

I had been looking for at least a couple of years though before I found those, but didn't really have a pressing need for them. I don't know that I could repeat.

I try not to get caught up in auctions either. I bid what I will pay, and check back every few days to see if I need to pay for anything.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 03-18-2015 at 6:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Bite the bullet, and get on the list. I wish I had done it earlier. They are beautifully made and work well right out of the box. Another option is Philly Planes but his turn time has been very long on the last couple of planes I ordered....worth the wait but.

ken
    Ironically, I read your post earlier and was going to get on the list, when I got a call about my rentals insurance unexpectedly jumping about 500 bucks. I'm thinking it would be in bad form to not heed the signs and wait a day or two at least. Shish.

I bought a nice pair from Edward Lebetkin for $150. He is the tool dealer/shop above Roy's Woodwright School in Pittsboro, N.C.
    They had been tuned/sharpened by Willard Anderson. (He teaches plane making at the school.)

David Turner
    Plymouth, MI.