Thread: What are the best contractor / hybrid saws in the $500 - $1K range?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What are the best contractor / hybrid saws in the $500 - $1K range?

For weeks now I've been trying to rehab my Grandfather's old Craftsman 113, and I've finally reached the point where I have to admit to myself that the time and money it will take to fix the badly worn innards just won't be worth it. Trust me, I've weighed my options carefully and done everything I can. It's time to say goodbye.

This means that I'm now in the market for a new, decent contractor or hybrid-type saw. And for the sake of this discussion, let's focus on new saws. With the obvious caveats about how you get what you pay for, I'm hoping you can point me towards the sweet spot, and I understand that this means compromises. I just want to make some decent, simple furniture out of hardwoods. Here are some priorities, in rough order:

1.Budget. $1K is the TOP of my budget. Lower is better. Much better. Sorry, this is where I'm at. I'm a hobbyist at best, not a pro or anywhere close to it.
    2. Enough precision to make some decent furniture. Tables and such.
    3. Power. Currently, my shop is only wired up for normal 120, and keeping it that way is preferable for now, but not required. But I don't want to be constantly struggling to rip through 4/4 or 5/4 oak, and I need the ability to handle a dado.
    5. Portability. This is last for a reason. I don't need to be able to move it across town, but I do need to be able to move it across my shop.

One last consideration. I already have an unused, uninstalled Delta T2 Fence sitting here from my failed 113 project. So, if there's a new saw out there that can do all this for a good price, but the fence is weak, that might be perfect for me. So fire away.

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by Josh Saul; 03-18-2015 at 2:07 AM.