Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furniture Builders: What size paring chisels do you use most often?

Furniture Builders: What size paring chisels do you use most often?

I'm currently working on a tool cabinet. This is my first project with hand-cut/chopped dovetails. I am getting by with bench chisels, but I am considering adding some paring chisels to my arsenal. I am considering the Narex set but got to wondering how useful the 1" and 1 1/4" chisels are. My projects primarily tend to be home furnishings: cabinets, book cases, tables, chests, boxes, specialty cabinets, beds, that sort of stuff ...

I'm thinking that 1/4" 1/2" and 3/4" paring chisels would likely see a lot of use, but I'm not so sure about the wider ones. What has been your experience? What size paring chisels get frequent use, and which ones are rarely used?

Blog Entries
    Joe,

It really depends on what you are doing. My 1-1/2" chisels get a lot of work. Some of my dovetails are pretty big.

If all you do is London style dovetails with skinny pins, you may only need a 1/4" chisel.

My work includes a lot of lap joints with construction lumber. So a big chisel is a must for my work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Big Narex paring chisels are like a mini swords. At minimum they are good for a self defense Big chisels do come in handy here and there.

Joe, for me its one of those 'when you need it you're real glad to have it' things. I used the 1 1/4" on Sunday for the first time in the year Ive had this NAREX set. And I was very darn glad to have it. But honestly, I only use my NAREX parers when my regular chisels (regular old blue handled Marples) are too short. But I agree - I use my 1/4"", 1/2" and 3/4" (of either set) the most.

Just thinking about it though - do the dovetails you're cutting really require chisels that long? I think I've seen some vintage paring chisels that are shorter/thinner than the NAREX. Would those - or perhaps a better set of bench chisels - suit your work better? Something to think about, anyway.

Good luck!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-17-2015 at 10:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    I practically have my 1-1/2" paring chisel on my bench the entire time I am in my workshop. I use 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1.5"
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

1/4, 3/8, half and 1 1/2 mostly here too. My favorite is a 2" Barton though. The go to for so many things.

I own 1 paring chisel,the Narex 1 1/2" one. Great tool.
    Paul

Think of it this way Joe, if you purchase the full set you get the 1" and 1-1/4" at a massive 30% discount. Who can resist?
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Blog Entries
    There are many situations when a wide chisel comes in handy.

Good for a quick chamfer on end grain.

Trimming the ends of dowels or a through tenon.

Smoothing the sides of a mortise.

Shaving the face of a tenon.

And more...

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I like a paring chisel wide enough to 'register'
    on shoulders, mortise/bridle cheeks and tenons.

The wider it is, the better I can judge if it's cutting square.

I'll use a slick to get close on larger tenons,
    but it's not what I would call precise.

The chisel getting most work in my kit is 3/4" wide.
    If the paring chisel is out, I'm fiddling a joint together.

Blog Entries
    This is certainly one of those things that will vary with what you do. I picked up a Lee Valley 3/8" chisel and ground it to 25*. Other than a 3/8" crook-neck, it has done all my paring work where a long flat reference surface was desired. I do have other chisels for dovetails and such but, for general paring tasks, I have not been wanting.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use my 1.5 and-2" chisels frequently.

Offhand I would say that I use 1/8-1" almost daily, and 1"-2" several times a week. (increments of 1/8" with a few 1/16ths sporadically, and I wish I had all the increments of 1/16")
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

I have a 1" and 1.5" wide Narex. They do a fine job. I use these for chopping a clean base line reference on dovetails, but I don't use them for paring. I find wide blades harder to push. I use my 1/8", 3/8" and 1/2" for most drawer-paring tasks.

If you do a lot of hand paring of mortises, I can see the wider chisels being used more often.

Blog Entries
    I don't own proper paring chisels. Until I found something I can't effectively do with what tools I have, I don't get new / additional tools. I have a couple of bench chisels at 25 degrees that I can use for paring when the standard chisels seem inadequate. In reality, I just keep my chisels sharp and work on.

Please don't take my cave access away...
    Last edited by Shawn Pixley; 03-18-2015 at 10:16 AM.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    I don't own proper paring chisels. Until I found something I can't effectively do with what tools I have, I don't get new / additional tools. I have a couple of bench chisels at 25 degrees that I can use for paring when the standard chisels seem inadequate. In reality, I just keep my chisels sharp and work on.

Please don't take my cave access away...
    I dunno Shawn, I guess we could award some points in your favor because it takes nerve to admit something so shocking...